Jonah Leaea committed

Viewing 3 reply threads
      2 4

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Don’t know anything about him. Mid-ish three star right now. Offers from bad P5 programs, G5s… and us. Seems like we have abandoned the strategy of banking on higher ranked guys committing later. I feel like we have way more committs than we did at this time the last 2-3 years. Am I wrong?

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Kid plays for Bishop Gorman. I guess if you have to find something to bitch about…

NarfUte
        Ute Fan
        @narfute

Plays for Gorman and is newish to football (used to play basketball). He’ll get his composite ranking soon enough 

2 1

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Uh huh… what part of my post was complaining? I made an honest observation that is for the most part objectively true. Then I asked if our recruiting strategy had changed. I made no evaluative judgements about that change in strategy.

you are the one that is bitching bud (about my comment).

krindor
      Ute Fan
      @krindor

Seems like a solid get. Definitely a bet on upside, but a worthwhile one. He’s not there yet, but I see betting on potential.  He’s not a Lander Barton type of get, or even Justin Medlock or Nate Johnson…but not every recruit is going to be.

From what I see, I don’t hate filling out a recruiting class with upside.  If every recruit is a shot on upside it’s a problem, but there’s some others who are clearly strong contributors.

NarfUte
        Ute Fan
        @narfute

I remember when the Kuithe twins committed to Utah with offers from Colorado, Iowa State, and Rice… I was thinking why are we wasting two signing spots on these guys.

Fortunately the coaching staff is helluva lot better at evaluating talent/potential than I am.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Devin Lloyd was also an upside recruit. Not saying all or most of them will turn out to be Lloyd or Kuithe because that’s a high bar. But a few of these recruits are a good thing.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

I don’t think you’re wrong. My personal belief is its a product of NIL. We saw Jamal Andersons boy, who seemed to want to come here, go to Clemson due to money. The coaches may feel they need go back to finding kids with upside due to not being able to buy them out of high school.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Wow, I’m surprised someone on this site actually takes the time to read a post without jumping to conclusions first.

Your comment pretty much mirrors what I was thinking.

Our strategy the last 3-4 years has lead to us not having more than 4-5 commits going into the final stretch of the recruiting period… that has clearly changed in the last year or two.

I don’t see a problem with acknowledging that

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Jonah Leaea committed