Lets hear your pie in the sky scenarios for the now open coaching position!

Viewing 3 reply threads

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

1. Steve Smith: He would instantly be one of the best recruiters in the world. Also, It shouldn’t matter, but it does, so this spot should probably be filled with a POC.

2. If #1 doesn’t work out then I guess I’ll settle for Ludwig moving to OC/receivers coach, and the Utes hiring the soon to be free agent Alex Smith to be the QB coach.

More realistic option: I don’t have a name here to be honest, I just want it to be someone who relates to the guys he is going to be recruiting. Keil Mcdonald and Shah have been absolutely knocking it out of the park the last few years. We’ve got to find a young person of color to compete better for recruits. 

While we’re firing coaches we should get rid of Harding and hire one of our many many many polynesian NFL linemen to be the OL coach. We need someone who can LOCK DOWN the state. We’ve lost some tremendously talented young men to out of state schools due in large part to the fact that the boys and their families don’t find harding relatable.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

I guess Steve Savoy was a rumor. I think that would be a great hire too. Steve Smith would probably be my first choice. Either one would shut Holliday’s kids mouth.

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

I’d like to see Whit, just for once, go outside his family tree/the parochial school/past players or employees for this hire.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

You mean like Guy Holliday?

leftyjace
          Ute Fan
          @leftyjace

Who came to us via BYU. His point, at least in response to your counter-argument, wins.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

I don’t have a problem with any specific hire that Whitt has made over the years, but you can’t deny that he has a pretty thin rolodex. Even OC Taylor was recommended by his brother.

Look what Alabama has done since Saban brought in Lane Kiffin to modernize his offense and take advantage of the skill level of his players. Sure, a WR coach isn’t going to have that impact but I’ve also never believed that new ideas are, by nature, a bad thing.

MDUte
            Ute Fan
            @mdute

@2008 National Champ, let’s bring it back to reality please. Coach Whitt is not Nick Saban and we are not Alabama, not even close. And that’s not a knock against Whitt or our program. I love Coach Whitt and I’m damn proud of our program. Whitt is the perfect coach for our team and deserves all the credit in the world for building our program the right way, taking steps forward each and every year. But to compare him to Nick Saban is simply unfair. We’ve got a great OC and DC and that’s what’s most important. Making a home run WR coaching hire is not going to put us in the CFP next year. Don’t get me wrong, I recognize this position coach can make an impact by recruiting and developing better WR talent than we’ve had. Holliday did a good job for us while he was here and the players love him. It sounds like he simply hit his ceiling. And we definitely want to take a step forward now with the group and I trust that Whitt/Ludwig will identify the right guy to get us there. But let’s not overstate things or make unfair comparisons. That’s what Zoobs do everyday over on CB trying to convince themselves they’re the Notre Dame of the West and crap like that.

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

Back to Reality?

Where did I say that Whitt was equivalent to Saban? What I did say was that the guy who is considered by most to be one of, if not the, top coach in CFB history was willing to bring in a new voice. If you only hire people who will give you the same answers you already have, you should never expect different results. However, if you are willing to challenge your own thinking, you might just find that your perfectly adequate answer can be even better with some modification.

MDUte
                Ute Fan
                @mdute

That’s fine. But when you start saying stuff like Whitt doesn’t exactly have much of a rolodex and Saban brings in guys like Lane Kiffen blah blah blah and then criticizing him for the Taylor hire because the recommendation came from Fred…come on dude.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Whit needs someone with NFL playing experience.
      That’s all young kids/recruits are looking at today.

Look what Arizona St

The new Coach doesn’t even need to have coaching experience but if he has 5 to 10 years of NFL playing experience that’s a home run hire.

So I’ll say former Seahawk WR Doug Baldwin. He’s only 32 so he can relate to this generation. Born in Florida so he’ll have a presence in recruiting there. Played at Stanford so you know he smart.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Lets hear your pie in the sky scenarios for the now open coaching position!