Looking at the Arizona game

Viewing 2 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

The teams have both played 10 games against very similar schedules.  What do we see:

– The offensive stats are very similar.

– Both teams run the ball well.  Utah is the best in the conference at rushing at 207 YPG and Arizona is second at 187.  

– Utah leads the conference in yards per pass play at 14.9 YPP and Arizona is third at 12.6.

– The defense is a different story.  Utah is the best by a long shot and Arizona is the worst in the conference.

– Utah allows 11 points a game and Arizona 37.

– Utah allows 248 yards a game and Arizona allows almost double that at 480.

The only thing that really bothers me about this game is the history Arizona has had of a RB running loose against our solid defense.  They have an offense that can put up points, but were held in check at Oregon last week.

We “should” be able to score at will against their defense.  I suspect that Whitt will try to do as he always plans, to control the ball and keep it out of Arizona’s hands.  Utes should win big.

Dwight89
      Ute Fan
      @jordan-buckner

Luckily it was Rich Rod we had a tough time scheming for, defensively. I don’t think Sumlin runs the same system as him. 

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

True.  But, Sumlin has also had some excellent offenses.  I highly doubt that Arizona will run for 200+ yards this week. 

astUTE
      Ute Fan
      @astute

Question:  you point out that AZ is second in rushing yards per game…  is that partly true because they haven’t playe4d Utah yet?  How far are they likely fall afer this week and will they still be second?

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Valid point for sure, but after 11 games – even if Utah holds them to say 75 yards – their average won’t change a lot.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Looking at the Arizona game