Ludwig would only be slightly better than Harding…..

Viewing 2 reply threads
      7 5

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

….. and Harding would be VERY disappointing.

Not only would Ludwig be a very underwhelming choice, but I think this hire would put Whittingham on very thin ice. Going from 4 years with Ludwig to the 10 year OC carousel we’ve been on to then ultimately end up back with Ludwig who was fired/encouraged to leave originally would cement the idea that Whittingham has no idea how to hire a good OC. That is, unless Ludwig is a vast improvement over what we’ve had over the last 10 years. (very doubtful)  

Hiring Ludwig is a risky proposition, imo. Status quo or worse isn’t going to cut it with this hire. Whittingham’s fate will be directly tied to Ludwig’s.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Based on….???? How many games has Whitt won in the past four seasons?

3 2

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

Which part?

Only slightly better than Harding? I haven’t checked the stats, but I would bet Ludwig’s offense the first 4 years he was here was only marginally better than Harding’s, statistically speaking.

Risky proposition with Whit’s fate tied to Ludwig’s? It’s just one man’s opinion, but look at the facts. Ludwig was viewed as not good enough and asked to leave. 9 OCs over the next 10 years and now we’re going back to the guy who wasn’t good enough the first time around? I don’t see the big boosters writing very many more checks while Whittingham is the HC if Ludwig isn’t a big success. Big booster donations go down, coaches get fired, and I don’t think it will be just the assistants this time.

ETA: Whit has won 1-2 fewer games per year the last 4 years than he should/could/would have if he had a good offense.

7 1

sweetgrass
      Ute Fan
      @sweetgrass

I would hate to have a repeat of Ludwig’s last year at Utah, not sure I could suffer through that again. 

We almost lost a game to New Mexico.

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

And yet, Whit asked him to leave. Hmmm . . .

sweetgrass
          Ute Fan
          @sweetgrass

which was completely insane when you think about it. Second chances, Whitt likes to give them and its worked out pretty damn well.

1 1

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

It worked out very well for A-Rod. Oh, wait . . . 😉

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

That was like fourth chances. 

1 4

sweetgrass
              Ute Fan
              @sweetgrass

I bet you hated winning 10 games in 2015 and then 9 games in 2016 under Arod’s offense. 

God awful right!

noneyadb
                Ute Fan
                @noneyadb

As long as their wasn’t a 4th and goal situation he was okay… 2015 vs UCLA and 2016 vs Cal were brutal Losses.

EagleMountainUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @battlegroundute

Moss took the wrong hole right scheme but didn’t execute against Cal. 

3 1

UteThunder
                Ute Fan
                @utethunder

Under A-Rod’s offense? More like DESPITE A-Rod’s offense.

Those years were no different than any other over the past 10 years. Defense and Special Teams do all of the heavy lifting and everyone just hopes the offense doesn’t screw it up.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Ludwig would only be slightly better than Harding…..