mark harlan

Viewing 3 reply threads
      6 3

UtahFootballGM
      Ute Fan
      @uofusportsguy

are we sure mark is good at his job? to date, we have yet to announce any major NIL deals for our student athletes. The school has alumni in high places – at brands such as marriott, jet blue, nintendo and many more, yet mark can’t be bothered to pick up the phone and call one of these brands and ask them for help? he realizes that he puts our teams at a strategic disadvantage when we don’t have these deals in place for our athletes, right?

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

NIL doesn’t define the success of an AD. Is it a consideration? Sure. But basically every sports program at the U is thriving or vastly improving aside from MBB (which is frustrating btw), it seems to me that Mark is doing a great job.

UtahFootballGM
        Ute Fan
        @uofusportsguy

all mark has really done is add new facilities and hire a bball coach who hasn’t shown much success thus far (given it’s only been a year) and he waited 3 years too long to fire larry. Also, the crimson club is a terrible experience for anyone who donates any real money. 

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

He’s scheduled some really good OOC for football…

UrbanLiar
      Ute Fan
      @urbanliar

There’s a ton of work being done and I’m directly involved in it. Remember a NIL deal is technically separate from the Athletic department administration by design. It’s a contract between principal sponsor and principal celebrity athlete, with no involvement of the college except some paperwork that tracks it. These kids get 1099’s for their involvement. This NIL arena is poorly defined at this point across virtually all institutions. I’m a Level 10 CC member and we’re currently creating a separate to-be-announced soon promotional entity that will handle the vast majority of NIL deals for all U participants, not just football. We have immediately recognizable U athletic alumni on our board too. I’m not able to share all of the details at this point but you’ll hear some announcements in the next few months. We are already talking to some of the corporate sponsors you cited, but there are other recognizable names you didn’t list that hopefully you’ll be impressed with.

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

Maybe he’s been busy expanding the stadium, funding the new practice indoor facility (link), setting up scholarships to honor beloved Utah men that have passed away, presiding over their tragic deaths and recognizing them, and presiding over the first PAC12 football championship in school history and letting the NIL happen outside of the school, which is according to the rules so that the school is not involved in pay for play. 

1 2

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

The “stadium expansion” was only completed under Mark Harlan.  But the plans and approval to expand (i.e. 99% of all the legwork required) happened under Chris Hill.

Harlan might get credit for the new football facility that’s soon to start construction.  But not for the video board at RES, nor that stadium’s expansion.

UrbanLiar
          Ute Fan
          @urbanliar

But give Harlan credit for successfully securing donations to pay for what was mostly already planned.

Ute Dub
          Ute Fan
          @chestercopperpot

Did Harlan help bring in the Garff $21.5mm? – Oh you got me, I guess Harlan didn’t have to spend any of his working time on the stadium expansion. Thanks. 

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.