New Breakdown: Tyler Huntley vs. Washington

Viewing 11 reply threads

berk18
      Ute Fan
      @berk18

Hello again,

A few weeks ago I posted some video analysis of the Ute offense against Cal. People seemed to be into it, so I made another one about Tyler Huntley’s performance against Washington, and about his ability to work different kinds of passing concepts against different coverages.

Also, if y’all have any questions, or anything that you’d like to see in a breakdown, let me know. I’ve been looking forward to a probable Oregon-Utah PAC-12 championship for a few weeks now, so there’s a lot to say there!

Tednab
      Ute Fan
      @tednab

Very well done , thanks for sharing !

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Wow.  Great stuff.  I can see why it is very challenging to be a great QB.  Some of our rival fans claim TH isn’t very intelligent.  I think this video proves otherwise.

berk18
        Ute Fan
        @berk18

Wow.  Great stuff.  I can see why it is very challenging to be a great QB.  Some of our rival fans claim TH isn’t very intelligent.  I think this video proves otherwise.

It’s hilarious trying to imagine Ludwig, who’s a pretty cerebral guy, communicating his offense to a guy who’s “not intelligent.” I don’t know anything at all about Huntley off the field, and these things don’t always translate (just like lots of people are good at some academic subjects but not others), but at the very least your processing speed and working knowledge have to be really solid. There’s just too much information, and it’s coming at you too fast in this kind of system.

taragon85
      Ute Fan
      @taragon85

Really enjoyed it

TerryBerner
      Ute Fan
      @terryberner

A great analysis. You obviously know your football. Thanks.

SorryWife
      Ute Fan
      @sorrywife

Very cool. Are you already a coach or analyst? If not you should be. I’m sure there is a need for great minds like yours. You’ve gained a subscriber from me! 

berk18
        Ute Fan
        @berk18

Thanks for the kind words!  I’m only an analyst if you count these videos.  About 10 years ago I wanted to know more about the technical side of the game and got frustrated that there weren’t many good resources written for fans, so for the last decade I’ve watched as many clinic DVD’s as possible, read a bunch of coaching books, and broken down a bunch of games until everything finally started to make sense.  Now I’m trying to make the kind of content that I wish I’d had, aimed at teaching the technical stuff to an audience that doesn’t have a playing or coaching background.  I’m glad that people enjoy it!

UtahFanSir
          Ute Fan
          @utahfansir

You are doing a fantastic job of that. I was so impressed with your earlier video posted here that I sent it to my wife. I was a offensive tackle and understood that to “see” the game, you needed to watch both lines and not necessarily just follow the ball. I thought you did an amazing job in that one on looking at the line play to understand how the play would unfold. In this one, you do a terrific job showing how an offense checks the defense.

One other aspect to Utah’s passing game is the use of Zach Moss just beyond the LoS as an outlet of almost last resort. In the last several games, that play has been exploited to tremendous effect. Huntley moves through his options, mostly taking the farthest downfield option when open. In so doing, his passing number get a massive boost in just about every game. But under pressure if or when the O-line breaks down Huntley uses that outlet pass as a safety valve. Once Moss gets the ball, its typically open field running since the defense has pursued the deeper threats and any blitz coverage is in the backfield. I’ve been stunned at how effective that play has become for Utah. To make that  work, Huntley is great on his reads, and then he moves into the pocket to elude would-be-tacklers more often than not. But Huntley’s 10% increase in completion rate and the increase in yards per catch are so good because like Moss on his runs, he is patient and disciplined. The kid is smart.

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

That was fantastic!

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Awesome breakdown

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I am not on Twitter so I very much enjoy you posting here.

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

This is fantastic Berk. Thanks for sharing it, you do an excellent job on these breakdown videos.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Gentleman, scholar and hero. Thank you!

UTUTE
        Ute Fan
        @utute

Thank you for sharing your knowledge of the game! Any sport is infinitely more fun to watch the more one understands it.
        Keep em coming if you enjoy it!

MFury
          Ute Fan
          @mfury

This is so well done….

Utah Jr.
      Ute Fan
      @utahjr

Best Breakdown I’ve seen for a long time. Nice job!

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football New Breakdown: Tyler Huntley vs. Washington