Southern Utah at  Utah
Big 12 Now / ESPN+

NHL in SLC

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      5 4
      Extra Medium
      Participant

Is anyone on here excited for this possibility?

I’m “meh” at best.

16 3
      SkinyUte
      Participant

I would love it. NHL is awesome, and live hockey games are a blast.

FAR more interested in this than I was the prospect of SLC getting a MLB team.

8 2
        tanute3
        Participant

100% agree Skiny. An NHL team in Utah is significantly more interesting to me than MLB.

5 1
          NarfUte
          Participant

Same. I’ll be there for any time the Oilers play in SLC and definitely for some playoff games if they ever make it – And more regular season games than I would an MLB team

The Miami Ute
        Participant

Ditto…I set my calendar by Florida Panthers’ games. It’s another one of those sports that’s fast moving but within a constrained time limit. I used to be a HUGE baseball fan but I’ve lost all interest in the sport within the last five years. If SLC does get an NHL team, I’ll be there whenever Florida is in town or to cheer the franchise versus the Rangers and Bruins.

Here’s a video that has a lot of information on this issue: Why Arizona Coyotes move to Utah feels awful

5 1
      Kellso
      Participant

An NHL team would be nice but, I want MLB baseball. There’s no game that compares to baseball.

AlohaUte
      Participant

So I don’t live in Utah, but if they got a team I’d definitely adopt them as my NHL team. But I’m more stoked for MLB I’m Utah, that’d be awesome. If SLC gets an MLB team, I’d definitely drive down from Boise once or twice a season to catch weekend games.

UtahPilot47
      Participant

Salt Lake City has a rich history with pro-hockey. The Golden Eagles were the first tenant in the Salt Palace in 1968 before the Stars and Jazz. They were always one of the best drawing minor league hockey teams throughout their history. They should have never left. The Grizzlies remain a good drawing double A team despite not fielding very good teams the last decade and with nearly no media coverage. This is a great fit with the Olympics coming back. If MLB comes along too in the next few years, GREAT!

Extra Medium
      Participant

I love the Golden Eagles as a kid. I made this shirt for them.

The Miami Ute
        Participant

Well, I’m wondering what the new name for the team will be. I’m reading a lot of support online for the SLC Yeti…

Extra Medium
          Participant

Not a big fan of the name Yeti. That has as much tie to Utah as “Jazz”

Nothing really great here. Generic ideas but I like Rattlers, Bison, Raptors, Storm, Eagles, Wolves, Falcons, and Bombers better than Yeti.

Recycled Names: Gulls. Golden Eagles, Trappers.

The Golden Eagles is by far the best possible name for a Salt Lake NHL team.

GameForAnyFuss
          Participant

Utah Soakers

NarfUte
            Participant

Soakerzz, zzoakers, or zzoarkerzz?

The Miami Ute
              Participant

Well, in Utah there’s been the Jazz, the Starzz, the Buzz, the Pioneerzz, and even the team store, Fanzz. Why not get another team with “ZZ” in the logo.

D T
      Participant

I’m native to AZ & would be seriously disappointed IF my Coyotes leave Phoenix.

Hopefully, there’s a last minute resolution to keep them where they are.

WJUte
      Participant

Utah Black Diamonds gets my vote for the name.

Rick Walker
      Participant

I hope they keep the name coyotes and rebrand with a Native American tribe from Utah like Shoshone.

Central Coast Ute
        Participant

I like Shoshone, or even Navajos. But I can’t help but believe a bunch of white people would be offended.

The Miami Ute
          Participant

LOL…just the usual suspects…those who list their occupation as “professionally offended.”

Central Coast Ute
            Participant

Yep. I’m still irritated by the professor up at the U that said they need to drop the “Runnin Utes” because it was offensive. I’m glad the Ute Nation responded by basically telling him to pound sand

The Miami Ute
              Participant

That whole thing is an interesting study into human psychology. Naming your team after an American Indian tribe and honoring their contributions to the state’s history is offensive but a bunch of WASP football players doing the haka isn’t?

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

I would like to love hockey. I am 40 and still can’t make the effort to understand the damn game.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.