No there is 3 left in to 2025 QB room

Viewing 5 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

the 2024 QB room.

Mack Howard has also put his name in the portal. This is not a huge loss, but we will need to do something to get some QB in here. We have Rising, Rose, and Wilson. All three are coming off injuries.

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

The portal takes…but the portal also gives.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

We are already at the point that you need to recruit the athletes that will play over and over every year. Athletes that are in development will also have to be recruited every year once it becomes apparent development is going successful. Each year all will determine if there exist a path anywhere else than has advantages over the current path. Then again, that is the opportunity for everyone else going to school, everyone else that is working, even a bum get to choose different paths for a bum. Possibly, NIL contracts may begin to change that if they become backend loaded or become multiyear. In the end, there will always be two groups. Those shopping highly likely successful talents and those shopping for an opportunity for a chance to play. College recruiting now requires a masters degree in planning and executing. I would like to see a restriction on recruiting completely starting when fall camp begins running thru the finish of the last playoff game or bowl game. Hang onto your hat.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

One of the thing no one mentions is that the rules have changed over the last year. Utah is no longer beholden to the Pac-12 rule that guarantees scholarships. The NCAA also changed the rule on maximum recruits per year.

I wonder if the staff is using this opportunity to clear out some of the “dead weight”?

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

It would seem if you are in a program for 2 years and are not seeing the field in minutes of contested games, guys will reevaluate. There are great players in crowded rooms. There are guys that fall short of the requirement for the program. Some will be moving up, some will be moving down, each in pursue of more game minutes or greater challenges. And there will be lateral moves for more money. It must be awkward if the staff sees better talent in the portal than the now understood potential of some on the team. With the ease of movement hopefully those conversations at Utah are friendly given the number of destinations that are both desirable and a step down from Utah.

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

As friendly as “we have watched you for a couple of years and don’t think you’ll ever make it on the field except in an emergency” can be. I think we can all relate to how much fun having to let someone go or be let go is.

Charlie
              Ute Fan
              @charlie

No doubt no one looks forward to those conversations. But the Pac 12 attempt that scholarships are 4 years had its own issues. It is also hard to retain staff that can’t complete tasks in an acceptable timeframe or quality but the criteria to let them go is difficult and time consuming. Problems both ways. Sadly, some will not find a spot in the portal that meets their expectation. Here is where football mimics real life.

I think one spot on the team is emergency QB. QB5 is not expected to play but we still have a game that must be played even after losing 4 QBs. It is what it is but still has benefits.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

Much easier to build depth through the portal. Pick up players with developed size and ability to fill in gaps. Develop the cream of the crop freshman and sophomores. Get rid of your recruiting mistakes. I guess it goes both ways.

As long as you have collective money to bring in proven talent it’s a plus. Unless Vaki leaves we haven’t lost much. Good programs with NIL money will get better and weak programs with little money will get worse.

W16Ute
      Ute Fan
      @w16ute

Any chance Bottari starts another year? It doesn’t look like he’s taken a red shirt but it could just be roster error.

Edit: Autocorrect screwed me… Any chance Bottari STAYS another year…..

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Can’t believe we’re even having this conversation.

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

Just read the Deseret News article on the QB room, sounds like it’s a possibility that Bottari returns, so he gives us some emergency depth. They also mentioned Steve Smedley, anyone know anything about him? Is he a scholarship QB or a walk on? Is he viable to develop into a backup?

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Smedley is a scholarship player out of Conroe, Texas…I don’t know what his potential is…it seemed like he was the lowest QB in the depth chart.

Here’s some info on him from CB. Evidently he grew up a big TDS fan:

Steve Smedley

DataUte
          Ute Fan
          @scotwaye

huh, he’s scholarship, but Barnes had to earn it after UF game. Seems weird, especially since Smedley is a ‘nobody’ and so far down we thought we only had 3 qbs left for 2024.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

I’m guessing that he’s on scholarship based on the fact that the Utes did recruit him. Is there a possibility that he’s with the Utah as a preferred walk-on?

//r00t4Utes
              Ute Fan
              @r00t4utes

A Brandon Rose question, and I didn’t want to start a new thread.

I’m sure the answer is no, but last year, the NCAA said playing in bowl games doesn’t count towards eligibility. Now that probably doesn’t apply to medical redshirt but still had to ask.

The Miami Ute
                Ute Fan
                @themiamiute

If you’re asking whether someone can play in a bowl but still be eligible for a medical redshirt, the answer is no. In order to be eligible for a medical redshirt, you have to meet the following criteria:
                – Suffer an injury that is deemed “season-ending”
                – The injury must occur before the halfway point of the season
                – Not participate in more than 30% of the season’s games
                If someone played in a bowl game, he obviously didn’t suffer a season ending injury.

Charlie
              Ute Fan
              @charlie

I believe PWOs are recruited also, just not as hard. I think PWOs are allowed to eat with the team now so there is that much of a benefit, I think.

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

Smedley isn’t listed as on scholarship

The Miami Ute
                Ute Fan
                @themiamiute

Thanks. That chart lists Rising as a Junior though. This even he’s been in college since Fall 2018.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football No there is 3 left in to 2025 QB room