Viewing 5 reply threads

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Any nuggets from today’s scrimmage 

Cesar Chavez
      Ute Fan
      @le-cockgrande

Holy sh!t! Bentley is the man, that dude is impressive. The difference between Bentley and Risen is huge. I think come Monday the Utes will have their starting QB. I just hope Risen sticks around, he still has one year left after this one.

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

???. Rising is only a SO and this year doesn’t count against eligibility.

Edit: Nevermind…I see what you meant. My bad.

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

How do you feel Bentley stacks up vs. say Huntley?  Will we see improvement?  A step back?  More of the same?  He certainly has better height (re: field vision) and weight (re: durability) than Huntley.  But we’ll be losing “speed” at that position with Bentley under Center, so we might find ourselves a bit more one-dimensional than the last few  years.  But “overall”, how do you see THAT comparison?

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Cesar, before listening to coach Whitt, I would have said I thought the QB spot was Bentley’s. Whitt seems very pleased with Rising. I wasn’t there so I couldn’t say who played better, but saying the difference between the two is huge just doesn’t line up with what anyone within the program is saying.

Cesar Chavez
          Ute Fan
          @le-cockgrande

You’re right, I guess I should have said IMO, It seemed to me that Bentley was a little more confident in the pocket, and had the stronger arm. there were more then a couple of times when Risen missed wide open receivers and took off with the ball too soon when he felt pressured.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

I don’t see why he wouldn’t. Even though this year doesn’t count eligibility wise. If Bentley has the kind of year we all expect. He will go the NFL. That waves Rising with three years Of eligibility as the guy.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Yeah, Rising will be here for a while, with three years of eligibility left, and this year not counting. If Bentley is off to the NFL next summer, Rising has an opportunity to pilot a very good P5 team for two or three years.

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Rising has had a good week and is making it interesting. Both were “good not great” yesterday but the offense remains way ahead of the defense. Guys are starting to get banged up a little but nothing serious and the next few weeks should allow them to heal up a bit. TE’s as we all know are talented and difference makers.

O-line continues to play really well. Kump again ran some with the 1’s yesterday at RT and with the 2’s at LT. Really excited about the talent on the O-line for years to come. I still think Brumfield starts with Wilmore right there. Jordan will be used all over the place and is improving in pass pro. Bernard is really talented as well and will get time. CP3 on the outside mostly now…less complicated than the nickel and allows him to use his athletic ability a little better while he learns. Sugaturaga will play but not as a starter. This is interesting to me because coming in to the Fall (pre Van and X) there were those that thought he might play a ton. I think it speaks to the talent that was brought in. Ritchie is coming along quickly…he’s very good. Not sure the back up LB has been decided. My bet is it’s Sewell to start alongside Lloyd still and the CB’s are still in a dogfight IMO. Have to get more consistent back there.

Schedule sets up nicely to work through some kinks still. Progressing nicely but with plenty of room to grow

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

In fairness to Sugaturaga he was injured through the Spring but we are in really good at DE

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

Regarding Special Teams, how is Noyes coming along? Could he beat out Redding?

Onlyu
            Ute Fan
            @uf8fl

Absolutely he could. Special teams should be a strength again. Talented punter who will be better this year. Should be very good in the return game and a stronger FG leg in the mix

PhiladelphiaUte
              Ute Fan
              @philadelphiaute

Wait…what?  By “talented punter”, do you mean that Noyes will be taking Lennon’s spot?  Or were you saying that Lennon’s performance had shown improvement over last year’s?  I personally thought Lennon was a slight inch ahead of “average” last year.  Certainly not the sort of talent we’d been seeing at that position since Hackett and Wishnowski.

Onlyu
                Ute Fan
                @uf8fl

Yeah Lennon is the punter and I agree he was very average last year. He seems a lot more comfortable with the transition to the US and American football. Kind of a duck out of water last year.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Cesar you know this how????? Are you a regular at practice? By all accounts the QB battle is very close and Whit was very complimentary of Rising after the scrimmage yesterday.

Cesar Chavez
      Ute Fan
      @le-cockgrande

This is what KW told Deseret News, “Utah coach Kyle Whittingham, though, did share some information. Namely, that the battle to become for the starting quarterback job is pretty much complete.

and yes, I’m at most Utah practices.

Bentley will take most snaps at the beginning of Game week(Modnay 2nd).

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.