Preception

Viewing 7 reply threads
      5 20

User Suspended
      @a2ute

Let me make this perfectly clear to all the Ute fans living in the land a Deseret bubble.

College Football fans on the East coast view Utah similar to what fans in the West view Iowa.  Solid but BORING.

Yep, tough blue-collar team and salt of the earth coaching but CFP worthy?  LOL! Child, please. 

How do you change this perception? Play and beat a powerhouse in the Big10, BIG12 or SEC.

Utah needs to go big or go home (if they are interested in the CFP) because beating up on the “ESPN after-hours PAC 12” just doesn’t move the needle.  Outside of USC, no one thinks PAC12 is at the same level as the three mentioned conference heavyweights programs.

Oregon along with Utah will be left out of the CFP if at all possible.  And why do you ask?  Simple.  PAC12 rarely “if ever” wins the BIG out of conference game against the Blue Blood heavyweights.

Preception is real my friend. Especially for teams that play at 10;30 on the East Coast.

Do you want to make a statement?  Beat Florida in Gainsville (not SLC) in Gainesville, and see what happens.

Chidojuan
      Ute Fan
      @chidojuan

What was the perception of Oregon in 2014?  Was it any better than it is now?  Honest question.  I don’t see how this year is much different.  Quarterback who is in the Heisman conversation.  Dominating the majority of teams on the schedule.  1 inexplicable loss.  Not very strong conference competition.

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

I get the vitriol considering the original poster.  However, there is no comparison between the PAC 12 in 2014 and this current incarnation.  2014 was arguably the strongest year for PAC 12 football since the conference expanded.  Utah finished 5th in the South that year and was ranked in the top 20.  Oregon’s “inexplicable” loss was to the eventual PAC 12 South Champ that played in a new years six and Oregon avenged the loss in the title game. 

Chidojuan
          Ute Fan
          @chidojuan

Vitriol?  Don’t see where you get that.  It was an honest question.  USC was not eligible for the post season that year, if that doesn’t weaken the conference, I don’t know what does.  UA was good, not great.  The South was competetive, the North was weak.  Oregon demolished UA in the Pac-12 Championship game, so I stand by calling that loss inexplicable.  Saying there is no comparision seems incorrect.  It was stronger, but not much stronger.  So I stand by my original question, what was the perception of Oregon in 2014?

EDIT: I was 2 years over on the SC sanctions. My bad.

Hellhound152
            Ute Fan
            @hellhound152

Maybe I projected my own feelings about most of the responses to Pace’s posts. haha

Oregon was also a few years removed from a BCS title appearance and Stanford was still considered elite at that time even though they underperformed.  Oregon was percieved as so strong that they were awarded a 2 seed over a defending national champion and tOSU (that selection in many ways showed the true feelings of the commitee when it comes down to traditional power v. plucky newcomers). 

Regarding the PAC 12, 6 cfp ranked teams with 9 bowl eligible compared to 2 cfp ranked teams with likely 6 bowl eligible teams is not even close.  Going into 2015 the national media was talking about how the PAC 12 was leaps and bounds ahead of the Big 12 as the 2nd strongest conference top to bottom.  What a difference a five years makes… 

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

I thought that zoobies were the only people who live on the west that think they know more about how us east coasters view Utah, than actual east coasters do.

So weird.

3 13

User Suspended
        @a2ute

Dude, come on. “if” you actually live in Phili, you know the score.

Utah has come a long way. Just a few years ago most people thought they were in the WAC.

My point is if Utah really wants to make that big change in perception, they will need to walk into a top 10 house and start breaking dishes.

I stand my statement: Utah is the Iowa of the West.  If Urban was still at Utah things would be much, much different.

AlohaUte
          Ute Fan
          @alohaute

If you actually knew anything about the east coast, you wouldn’t spell it Phili.  I bet you call San Francisco “Frisco”. 

PhiladelphiaUte
          Ute Fan
          @philadelphiaute

Dude, come on.  I DO know what folks on the east coast think of Utah.  And they do NOT think we’re in the WAC.  There was so much press going on back in 2010, that all college football fans knew:

(1)  Utah won 2 BCS bowls while in the MWC — most notably Alabama in the Sugar.

(2)  Utah LEFT the MWC to join the Pac-12.

(3)  Colorado left the Big 12 to join the Pac-12.

(4)  Nebraska left the Big 12 to jon the BigTen.

(5)  Maryland left the ACC to join the BigTen.

(6)  Rutgers escaped the Big East to join the BigTen.

(7)  West Virginia escaped the Big East to join the Big 12.

(8)  Louisville escaped the Big East to join the ACC.

(9)  TCU left the MWC to join the Big 12

(10) The Big 12 held a recent beauty contest of MWC and AAC schools, and spurned them all.

College football fans KNOW this!  There’s been too much media coverage over it for us to NOT know it.  Ask yourself this very simple question:  Do you believe that east coasters think that Colorado and Nebraska are still in the Big 12?  Because if not, what makes you think that they can both join their respective leagues, but folks not notice Utah changing conferences likewise?  And especially considering that between Utah, Colorado, and Nebraska, Utah had been the team who’d done more.

It’s time west coast denizens stop this arrogance that you all know more about what we think than we do.  FACT!

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

So does 1-loss, non-champ Bama get in over a 1-loss P12 champ this year?

2 6

User Suspended
        @a2ute

Unfortunately yes. I expect Saban and the team to dominate the remainder of their games…. and then yes, preception will win the day.

User Suspended
          @a2ute

On more thought.

If Vegas was to throw odds on a Ducks/bama or Utah/bama neutral site game what do you think the spread would be?

In both cases, double digits.

AgouraUte
            @agouraute

Who cares – just sit back and enjoy the season.

SalUteopia
            Ute Fan
            @saluteopia

I’ll be the first one to admit that Bama is better than Utah, but outside the top 5 or 6 teams, which team won’t have that spread against Bama?

More importantly, what does it matter what the spread is?! What was the spread for OK-Kansas St? Or Wisconsin-Illinois? Maybe upsets are bad examples. Let’s compare the heavyweights — what was the spread for Clemson-Bama last year, or Clemson-tOSU in 2016?

1 4

User Suspended
              @a2ute

Isn’t the goal to try to get the 4 best teams into the CFP.  Yes upsets occur but let me ask you this

If Ok-Kansas St play best of 5 who wins?  I know, I know, that’s why you play the game but again, the CFP committee is trying to ID the best 4 teams. Not the team that might have the best chance of an upset

SalUteopia
                Ute Fan
                @saluteopia

So who wins the Bama-Georgia best of 5 in 2017? 

Was MSU the 4th best team in 2015? What about UW in 2016? And if they were, why did they get their asses kicked in the semifinals? Maybe this CFP thing is only meant for true blue-bloods with elite coaching. But then what about the Urban-led tOSU team in 2016? And how do you explain Bama’s performance in the 2018 NC?

The truth is there are only 2-3 extremely dominant teams every year. Are we one of those teams, NO. But it is also true that the remaining 1-2 spots are open to some less-than-stellar teams. This is how the 2015 MSU and 2016 UW happens. If it *somehow* happens to Utah in 2019, it won’t be a bad start.

SalUteopia
          Ute Fan
          @saluteopia

Not outside the realm of possibilities, but I’d be very surprised if a one-loss P-12 champ gets left out for Bama *this* year. Admittedly, Oregon will have a better case than Utah in this scenario.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Preception? Is there such a thing as postception?

3 9

User Suspended
        @a2ute

Look, after reading all this CFP talk on utehub I just think there needs to be a voice of reason in the room. If not, it becomes really zoobish.

The only realistic and aggressive goal is getting to the Rose Bowl. 

Winning in the CFP is for elite programs with elite recruiting. Oregon, Wash an MSU crashed the party once but had no business being there.

Red Dawn
          Ute Fan
          @ranger15

For most of us sports are a fun distraction from everyday life. It’s been a fun year to be a Ute fan. Most of us know the CFP is a longshot, but WE’RE IN THE DISCUSSION! Why not enjoy the ride? It doesn’t come around often

1 1

AgouraUte
          @agouraute

I think the vast majority of us realize the CFP is a pipe dream. Rose Bowl is where the focus should be.

AlohaUte
            Ute Fan
            @alohaute

Yeah, let’s focus on losing the Pac-12 Championship game. Just what a winning program should do.

AlohaUte
          Ute Fan
          @alohaute

You are a moron troll. Is it likely that the Utes make the CFP? No, stats are currently giving us about a 20% chance. But to think that the program shouldn’t aim for however high is possible is asinine and stupid. And if the Utes are fortunate enough to make the playoff it’s fantastic and I’ll celebrate and be stoked. I assume you will sulk in at home in your room alone upset that the Utes are going to get blown out and embarassed by LSU and they should have just settled for playing a lesser team in the rose bowl.

It is perfectly reasonable for fans to dream about the playoff and hope it happens. I don’t know anyone that expects the Utes to make it, but we certainly can and should hope for it. You typify the worst kind of Ute fan that is just as awful and annoying as cougarboard BYU fan that is confident this is the year they accomplish their quest for perfection. Except rather than optimism you spew pessimism at every turn and are convinced the Utes are not worthy and will fail you. I for one encourage you to go to a bunch of games of whatever team is closest to whereever you live and become a fan of them and stop cheering for Utah. I don’t want you in our fan base. You are as embarassing to us as Cougarboard is to regular BYU fans. And if the U happens to be the closest to where you live, just adopt Weber State and crap on their hopes for winning the FCS playoff because they have no chance to beat North Dakota State.

astUTE
          Ute Fan
          @astute

YYYYAAARRRGGGG Pace!?!?!?!? 

Perhaps as much as 50% of the time, I do not disagree with you!  However, can you for ****** ******* sake, learn a little bit about presentation?!?!  And how NOT to alienate ALL of those that you’re trying to convince!?!?!  Start with the name, then the picture, and then work on the attitude!!!!!!!

YYYYYYAAAQAAARRRRRRGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

astUTE
            Ute Fan
            @astute

For example, I could use the name UTES-SUCK, have a big blue Y for my profile pict, and start every post with, “Hey A$$holes…”.  I’d be as popular and have my ideas considered as highly as yours…

Dwight89
        Ute Fan
        @jordan-buckner

I’m not sure, but i definitely have heard of inception, conception, and reception. Preception is new to me. 

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

*perception

UTau
      Ute Fan
      @utau

You lost me at preception. Multiple times.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

PACE. You’re an idiot. That is all.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.