Reading the Linebackers preview. If Lund gets lost in depth

Viewing 3 reply threads

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

Chart, could he move to fullback? 6’ 235 lbs. has decent speed.

https://utahutes.com/news/2019/6/4/football-fresh-faces-2019-linebackers-preview.aspx

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Don’t know if I can answer your question, but IMO, if Moss goes down with injury we’re going to need a big guy for goal line situations.

Also, I don’t know why so many seemed worried about LB depth. We’ve got plenty of good players to go around at that position. Even if the top two guys get hurt, I would imagine we’ll be okay.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

I think the LB depth worry was more about experience and who they have after the 2’s. I guess Lloyd is good, he just doesn’t have game experience.

crazyute
        Ute Fan
        @crazyute

Ummmm….devin brumfield

Anfernee
      Ute Fan
      @anfernee

Paging OnlyU…

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Don’t forget about the Carlson kid. He immediately adds depth and had an offer to Oklahoma St among others. He’s probably the key. If he comes in as a solid #2 type player we’re golden. Most JC guys take a little while but the difference is he doesn’t have to come in a and start…just learn the system and be productive as he figures it out.

Bowen and Bernard are the obvious 1’s. Carlson, Lloyd, Mata’afa and Lund behind them. Fabrizio as well if healthy. In theory you have two veterans ready, both with NFL type bodies/potential. Then you have a freak in Lloyd who will leave his mark at some point here. After that you need 1-2 of the other 4 to bring something to the table.

If we are able to get through 3-4 games healthy and give the young guys some live reps we’ll be fine the rest of the way.

Hard to believe but we’ll be just as physical there as we were last year and probably even more so. We lose Cody’s motor and Chase’s intelligence but overall we should be very similar especially with the D-line expected to be as good as they are. We’re better on the edge this year which sets up nicely with the two big bruisers back there. They shouldn’t have to run as much sideline to sideline with Anae, Tupai and Tafua all with another year under their belt and containing.

This position group should end up as a fairly significant strength mostly because the guys in front of them will take a lot of pressure off and they’ll wreak havoc because of it!

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

Interesting point, Hammer.

Rookie questions here, I legitimately don’t know:

If Lund was rated that highly on the offensive side, why was he moved to defense? 

Did the move to defense happen at Stanford or Utah? 

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

I live in the Brighton HS boundaries where Lund played HS. He was a solid back, but he was unstoppable when Osa Masina was blocking for him. This is back when Lund was a soph and Masina was a senior. After Masina left he was good but not a big time next level back IMO. I think some teams went at Lund when he was a sophomore only and he was running through holes you could drive a truck through. Cody Barton was still on that team, can’t remember if Jackson was still there. Anyway, it will be interesting to see where Lund ends up in the depth chart.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Reading the Linebackers preview. If Lund gets lost in depth