Recruiting vs portal MBB

Viewing 6 reply threads

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

I believe it’s got to be somewhere in the middle. If you can recruit top talent out of high school that can impact the program immediately that would be a priority. Landing a proven junior -senior portal player would be another priority. Now do you fill your roster with recruits that need to develop before they play or portal players who are developed but not getting playing time where they are at.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

I say build from the portal from here on out. If I’m a coach, why would I take a chance on a kid that needs development only to have him jump to one of the big 2 conferences once he’s a solid contributor? It doesn’t make any sense.

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

All I can say is what a crazy college sports world we currently live in!

1 1

Dresden_Stormblessed
      Ute Fan
      @dresden

For our program? Find and get talent wherever you can get commits from. Portal or otherwise.

Keba is gonna hit the portal imo. Same with Deivon. If I’m a talented prospect, I see playing time as obvious here but your stars are leaving. They know more than I do. It’s just not an incredible place to play ball so get commits wherever you can find them.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Sorry, it’s 100% portal for me. The benefits of upperclassmen are amplified in basketball. The increased maturity, ability to cope with pressure, and the adult body are critical.

Unless we’ve got a sure-fire prospect, I don’t care if we land another high school kid ever again. Pretty much nobody plays all 4 at the same school any more, so just get upperclassmen out of the portal and plan on replacing 7-8 players every year.

RustyShackleford
      Ute Fan
      @shakyute13

70% portal-30% high school. We need a jumpstart on talent so we need to hit the portal hard.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Portal has killed HS and Juco recruiting. Go portal unless you can get a top 100 HS kid period.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Recruiting vs portal MBB