Salt Lake not a candidate city for World Cup 2026. Neither is Fargo.

dystopiamembrane
    Ute Fan
    @dystopiamembrane

BattleGroundUte
    Ute Fan
    @battlegroundute

This made my day thank you. 

GameForAnyFuss
    Ute Fan
    @gameforanyfuss

Sadly, Salt Lake (Rice Eccles) was a candidate until the last round. Ironically, what took us out of the running was the stadium capacity. Had we expanded (or announced expansion plans before today) we’d probably still be on the list.

Oh well…it’s almost a certainty that a world cup team or two will establish home base in SLC during the tournament – our combination of altitude, world-class facilities, and central location makes this an ideal place for teams to set up shop.

quagmire
      Ute Fan
      @quagmire

The low seating capacity at RES is likely the reason Taylor Swift skipped out on coming to salt lake for her “Reputation Stadium Tour”. Sad face. 

The powers to be need to realize expanding the stadium will benefit more than just Utah football. 

Tony
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Who is Taylor Swift?

quagmire
          Ute Fan
          @quagmire

Taylor

I dunno about u, but I would. Definitely. Even with all the crazy.

Tony
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

Hmm. 

PorterRockwell
            Ute Fan
            @porterrockwell

Saw Taylor’s doppelg√§nger at RES at a game last year. Coulda been her twin

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

How much labor would it have taken to get all that glitter out of the turf?

highlandute7
        Ute Fan
        @highlandute7

She did come a few years ago to Vivint.

Mr Chainsaw
      Ute Fan
      @mrchainsaw

I think I read that the cutoff for candidate stadiums was a 80K capacity.  I don’t think our expansion to 50k would have helped.

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

Cutoff is 50k

Mr Chainsaw
          Ute Fan
          @mrchainsaw

Ahh, you’re right.  Though looking at the list there isn’t another stadium under 60K (in the US).  They seem to be going for the really large stadiums where they can sell more tickets.

Thlete
    Ute Fan
    @thlete

Pretty surprised that Vegas didn’t make the cut. New Vegas stadium would’ve been awesome for a game (provided they could close a roof and not melt away n the desert heat)

Virginia Ute
      Ute Fan
      @virginiaute

Yeah, Vegas and Chicago the two that I was surprised to see left out. 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Ute Fan Board Forums Misc Salt Lake not a candidate city for World Cup 2026. Neither is Fargo.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Virginia Ute 6 days, 11 hours ago.