Scalley needs to move on

Viewing 9 reply threads
      3 30

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

This is not an anti Scalley post.  In fact, I really like Scalley.

He played at Utah, was a grad assistant here, was a position coach here and now the D coordinator at Utah.  I think he needs to broaden his experience.  I don’t want to see him leave for my own selfish reasons.  However, it would be great for him to get a head-coaching gig at a MWC school, and gain some good experience.  Then when Whitt decides to retire, we could bring him back as the head coach.

Go Scalley and Go Utes!!!

38 1

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Let’s not and say we did. 

loyter
      Ute Fan
      @loyter

So, this person who is enjoying unprecedented success as the DC on a team that’s #7 in the country – largely because of his defense, which ranks in the top 5 in many, many categories – should move to a different job? And the reason he should do this is so he can then come back to his current employer when his boss retires?

7 2

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

This is one of those way ahead of ourselves post that I dislike. Ok talk about Oregon and even the CFP or Rose bowl. Let’s not talk about Coaches leaving and taking success with them. Scalley will stay as long as he wants to. His family loves it here and I think he is very happy. Coach Whitt never learned to cut his teeth at another school. Scalley has already learned underneath some great coaches right here. 

He is the heir to Whitt regardless of learning stuff elsewhere. 

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

Eh .. IMO he’s in the best situation right now; can’t say Sitake’s value has increased since he left .

4 1

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Sitake is a hell no. Scalley has already surpassed him by a long shot. That year with Pease really settled Scalley in. I know we all say Whitt runs his defense but I feel like these past two seasons we can call it Scalley’s defense. 

pedro
            Ute Fan
            @pedro

Whit flat out said after the WSU game that Scalley gets no help from him on how he’s calling the game.

9 1

RiseasUtes
      Ute Fan
      @riseasutes

But why?  Is he not getting experience here learning from Whitt?

TheJuggernaut
      Ute Fan
      @thejuggernaut

Absolutely, the 5 years Whit spent at Idaho St before coming to Utah in 1994 were obviously the key to him becoming the great coach he is today.

I see what you’re saying, but what you’re suggesting just isn’t happening. Scalley’s not going to be the HC after Whit retires, but if he sticks around long enough he’ll get it eventually.

X723
      Ute Fan
      @x723

I think he is the next HC knows more top to bottom about UofU than anyone …………….

4 2

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

Proud please know I mean no offense.  Your posts are usually good, well thought out and have a fair amount of logic behind them even when I don’t agree.  But this one has to be one of the least thought out, poor and illogical post on any board that I have ever seen!

In fact the general though process you share is actually very irritating to much due to it’s prevalency in cooperate America.  

Facts are that some people get into ruts, routines and habits that can and do limit their potential and their effectiveness.  Those people, or coaches in this example, should be dealt with and should move on.

HOWEVER, it irks me to no end when managment, or in this case fans, fail to see the resource they have in front of them.  Just as there are those are no longer reaching their potential, there are as least just as many that have worked in the same company for years and are in fact exceeding the potential that most new hires would bring to the table but because they are so good at it they make it look easy.  

Scalley has proven himself to be top D1 material.  How that would translate to a HC job, who knows?  But to suggest he should move on after all he has accomplished at the U is absolutely moronic.  That’s like saying Bellicheck should move on from the Pats.  A better example was Lavell Edwards.  Pretty much grew up in the BYU program.  Had very little personal experience outside of BYU.  Yet somehow he took the FB world by storm and will live in infamy for decades.  

Personally, I hope he sits still, waits for Whit to retire and I hope Harlan gives him a shot.  If he fails, so be it.  But IMHO he deserves the shot.  He lives in Whit’s pocket and see’s what it takes to run the program.  To not give him a shot would be really dumb.  

Again, some are not HC material.  I for one, do not think G. Anderson is.  Helluva DC, but as a HC has yet to prove anything on the good side of the ledger.  Scalley may very well fall into that catergory.  OR, he could become just like Lavell or Kyle and kick some majory ass.  I’m betting on the latter.  

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

GA is a great example. He is sounding a bit unhinged again in Logan after that tough stretch of football. He has a weird world view. Very much a players coach. 

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Regardless of what everyone else here is saying, Scalley is being looked at hard by a lot of teams. You dont coordinate a defense this good and not get offers. Don’t be surprised to see him leave and Shah get promoted to DC. And no, it wouldn’t be a bad thing for him to do. It’s part of the business. The way coach Whitt moved up is extremely unusual.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Better convince the wife first. Money and prestige isn’t everything to the Scalley’s. They are content and I think Scalley has his eye on the prize. Utah is a desirable position for a guy like him. He literally is a young Whittingham. 

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Sure. Then don’t be surprised to see Jay Hill leave for a bigger job and Scalley go to WSU. After all, it’s not about the money to them. Although he didnt turn down a big raise this year. Managing a team is different than coordinating a defense. Not even Whitt cut his HC teeth in the PAC 12. foing it at the FCS or G5 level is typically how it goes in that business.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

The only thing Scalley could learn is the management piece. Hopefully as he gets closer to retirement Whitt gives him some of those responsibilities as a learning process.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

If Harding leaves I imagine Scalley is next up or possibly Ludwig. Ludwig has said he doesn’t want to be head coach I feel like Scalley wants to be a head coach. 

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Scalley needs to move on