Should we actively recruit 5* players

Viewing 4 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I say YES.  I think we should actively recruit the best players in the country when it makes sense, i.e., position we need, right fit in our program, etc.  IMO it’s time for the Utes to go after the best of the best.  “Nothing ventured, nothing gained.”

We will not get a high percentage, but we may get some in time.  We already recruit the 5* local kids (not many of them) as well as LDS kids.  I think we should go after virtually every 5* Polynesian player because we have a solid base of Polynesian players.  We should recruit the best of the best Dback and Dline kids because of our history of placing these players in the NFL.

If we do not try to compete against Alabama, OSU, Clemson, et al in recruiting, we will never compete with them on the field.

We recruit in Texas, Florida, and Cali.  However, I don’t think we actively go after the top-tier players.

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

WTF???

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

yeah, that came out of nowhere. All one has to do it check out the offers page at 247 to see that Utah routinely offers many 5 stars.

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

Wow.  I am not saying we don’t offer a number of 5* kids.  I know that.  I am not sure how actively we recruit most of them.  Maybe I am wrong and that wouldn’t be the first time.

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

It’s a question of how do our coaches best spend their time, money, and resources.

They recruit and offer 5 star athletes, but when those recruits make it known pretty early in the process they aren’t interested in Utah or they only have their sights set on the blue bloods, the coaches have a choice. They can either move on to other athletes who are more likely to come to Utah and put all of their time, money, and resources into securing those committments. Or, they can waste time, money, and resources chasing someone who is not going to commit.

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

Actively is always hard to gauge unless you are on the phone calls, texts, etc. Clark Phillips was a highly rated recruit that committed elsewhere but Utah stayed engaged with him and eventually flipped.

Think of it this way: it’s okay for me to go up to the hottest girl in the bar and tell her i’m interested. If she laughs or smiles, I’ll keep the conversation going. If she tells me her boyfriend is standing right behind, I’ll probably move on.

Convincing any recruit to come to your school is not easy, especially if there’s an indication that they aren’t really interested. With a finite amount of time available, the staff has to constantly self evaluate whether continued effort has a likelihood of producing favourable results.

ProudUte
              Ute Fan
              @proudute

Everything you wrote makes sense.  

I guess what I was trying to say in my original post – do we push harder and take more risks to get these top-tier players?  There is a risk in this for sure.

PlainsUte
            Ute Fan
            @plainsute

“Actively Recruit”, like via cash in a McDonald’s bag?   With NIL wide open now there are lots more opportunities for abuse.   What if a recruit comes and is introduced to someone from Ken Garff who says they may be open to some personal appearances at the dealership, etc.

belli1976
      Ute Fan
      @belli1976

No, I don’t want even a chance at getting the best talent. I want us to strive for mediocrity.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Recruiting isn’t so simple. Of course the coaches would love to actively recruit all of the best players out there. They have to put their feelers out and see if there is any intrest from the recruit. If not, why would they waste their time actively recruiting him? Just because he’s a 5 star? If they focus on kids their not going to get, they’re going to miss out on others that they can.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Didn’t they just recently make a top 14 list for a 5* DB?

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Should we actively recruit 5* players