Should we or should we not, play the turds down south….

Viewing 9 reply threads

UTEMAN
      Ute Fan
      @ute-man

Yes I get it, they are both positives and negitives from playing those turds.

But the negitvives far and out way the postives.

Can we look at it like this.  You go into the bathroom to relieve yourself, and low and behold you see a shiny new quarter in the bottom of the bowl.  But that’s not all you see.  You also notice a fresh turd floating in the scum and much of that scum is the stomach contents from a very sick, person with a commutable disease and that’s just the beggining of the crap in the bowl.  So I hope you understand much of the problem of whats its like for Chris Hill when has to put these turds on the schedule.

So should we schedule these turds or not.  Those that say yes, I forgot to mention that the quarter is super glued to to the porcelan.

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

I don’t think I’ve ever heard it stated better than that.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Unclean

6 7

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Until Utahns stop voting for Jesus…I mean republican, we will be playing FBYU-P. 

2 3

Skywalker11
      Ute Fan
      @skywalker11

as someone who is not invested into either program,

watching Utah and BYU is one of the only sporting events outside of my own teams interest that I really enjoy in all of college athletics.

You can argue that there are a ton of negatives for the U, (some I agree, while others I think are exaggerated.)

But for pure sport, and everything else aside, I wish the rivalry would continue each year in all sports.

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

I respect and appreciate what you’re saying, especially as a third party fan. But unfortunately, the rivalry is not about “pure sport”. In fact, I’d say that 95% of the rivalry takes place off the field/court.

It takes place in the media. It takes place at our dinner tables. It takes place on our kids’ playgrounds. It takes place in our houses of worship. And lately, it takes place in our legislative chambers.

If the rivalry were only about sport, I would say keep it. But it doesn’t, so much so that the games are almost an afterthought, and for that reason it needs to go away forever.

Skywalker11
          Ute Fan
          @skywalker11

I agree, I’ll never know what it’s like to be a Ute fan who hates BYU or a BYU fan who hates utah, but as a mutual who sits between both sides at work on a daily basis, theres times where I laugh at both sides and wish they’d grow up. The whole audit thing was ludicrous, its even more ludicrous to see BYU fans try to justify it still.

However, putting up a “welcome to pac-12 country” billboard and thousands of pac-12 stickers on cars, memorabilia just to rub it in their faces, is also dumb. in 2012, I think I saw more PAC12 car decals than actually Ute logo decals. (FWIW, I lived in DFW when TCU and Utah both left the MWC, and I dont recall ever seeing TCU sport Big12 gear) theres countless examples from both sides.

The unhealthy relationship off the field between BYU and Utah starts and ends with the fans. I don’t know if taking a break from the onfield action will necessarily help, so far it seems it has made it worse, especially since people outside of the rivalry want to see it, which is why they played in the vegas bowl, and could very likely play each other in the NIT this year. That being said, I know my opinion means nothing to nobody here.

Anonymous
            Inactive

Please don’t feel that way. I think your opinion is valued and the thumbs down mean nothing  

2 1

Skywalker11
              Ute Fan
              @skywalker11

I read cougarboard just as much as I frequent here, I usually don’t comment unless I feel like I am actually contributing, or if I want to talk a little smack leading up to a UO/UU match up (Im new to UH, but was on UFN a lot)

A discussion similar to this one showed up on CB a few months ago, and I replied with a similar comment and you would have thought the world was gonna end, so a few thumbs down is fairly mediocre in comparison 😉

GameForAnyFuss
                Ute Fan
                @gameforanyfuss

Yeah, please understand that even though I disagree with you on this issue, I really appreciate you posting here. You bring a lot of value from your perspective. We need more folks like you.

5 1

PorterRockwell
        Ute Fan
        @porterrockwell

The problem is that both fan bases make it difficult to put everything aside.  Especially when their graduates in the legislature do an audit because Utah cancels a game with them.  The relationship is toxic and unhealthy.  

They should be careful what they wish for.  The series has returned to the PreLavell days when Utah won about 70% of he time in football.  Prior to Lavell they had FIVE wins against Utah 

basketball has has been more even but thst will likely change more in Utah’s favor.  Due to conference affiliation  

I would prefer we never play them again   

Newbomb Turk
      Ute Fan
      @newbombturk

Not.

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

For football at least, I would much rather us put a marquee non-conference game like Michigan in that slot. Gives us more exposure nationally and a better SOS. We might not be able to consistently schedule a top-15 team there, but I’m sure we could always find someone reputable (top 25) to play. If BYU-P could put together a ranked season or two, it might be different. But with them fading away into irrelevance by being independent, I don’t see that happening.

BYU-P plays dirty, I don’t need to remind anyone of that. Combine that with a rivalry that is already physical, and the result is that someone from both sides always gets hurt in that game.

We have nothing to gain from playing them. If we win, we were supposed to. If we lose, we got upset. And odds are we’re going to lose a player or two for at least a few weeks either way.

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

I’d facedive for that quarter if it meant never playing tds again.

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

I say we NEVER play them again. The benefit for Utah is very low and the benefit for them is very high. If we must play them, which is apparently the case, I would love to see a Home-Home-Away. Make them agree to our terms or don’t play them.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

As long as byu is able to schedule across multiple P5 conferences, that game will always be a good barometer for Utah.
      2017-They play SEC, Pac12, and Big10. 2016- They played Pac12, Big12, Big10, SEC.
      Unfortunately their future P5 conference schedule seems to focus mainly on playing Pac12 teams. If that continues there is ZERO benefit in playing them.

ladyinred
        Ute Fan
        @ladyinred

Now this is a good point. This year they have LSU and Wisconsin, so I guess credit them for scheduling some big kids and we’ll get to see how Utah’s performance compares to some marquee programs.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums They So Poo Poo Should we or should we not, play the turds down south….