So I’m watching the Rice Bowl…

Viewing 3 reply threads

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

1988. I was a student and remember Scott Mitchell and Carl Harry being on campus. I used to bump into them sometimes. for some reason I never ran into EJ. Anyway, I transcribed the following. I have no idea who the announcers are. Here it is:

“As long as I’ve been following the WAC and football, there’s been a Whittingham there forever, either a father who’s coaching, or a brother who’s played. Whittingham is one of those fireplugs who kills you. He’s 5’11”, just a junior.”

Freddie Whittingham wore #33, and caught passes from a dude named Sean Covey.

And Scott, Eddie, and Carl, coached by Jim Fassel beat them 57-28.

They opened the door, and all the Whittinghams, and Sean’s nephew Britain are charging through. GO UTES!

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Oh yeah, I totally forgot Covey got benched for a kid names Ty Detmer in the second half.

tarheelute
      Ute Fan
      @tarheelute

Good story. I remember watching Whittingham play as under-sized linebacker earlier in the late 70s early 80s. And I was genuinely surprised when McBride brought him onboard in ‘94. Another reason to remember McBride for his part in Utah’s success.

utetastic
      Ute Fan
      @utetastic

Where are you watching it?

Coach Carl Harry is my son’s football coach. It would be fun for him to see him play.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

I have a copy on my Plex server. You need to go through the archives here for posts by utahman3431 if you want to find out how to access a fairly large archive.

Harry played lights out in that game. Mitchell passed for 390ish yards and 3TDs.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football So I’m watching the Rice Bowl…