Somebody tell me something, anything, about Weber State

Viewing 10 reply threads

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

What should I be expecting when they take the field?

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

They’re 2-0 and ranked #7 in the FCS.

Redblood
        Ute Fan
        @redblood

Is Texas State FCS? They said UTSA was better than Baylor. Not sure how good that makes Weber.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

Texas State is in the Sun Belt. They moved from FCS to FBS in 2012 when they were in the last year of the WAC.

voxnihili
      Ute Fan
      @voxnihili

Copied from another thread:

Solid FCS defense.

On offense, their passing game is not spectacular but their running back, Bankston, could cause some issues if the Utes don’t play disciplined.

They will provide a good test of Utah’s kickoff coverage – Williams is a great kick returner and was a consensus all-american last year – returned four kickoffs for touchdowns. I hope that Utah will be kicking off a lot on Saturday and, if they aren’t all touchbacks, hope the coverage is good.

Dallas
        Ute Fan
        @dallas

Sounds promising! Hope our guys get some good experience, get the win and stay healthy doing it.

kmc165
      Ute Fan
      @kmc165

Is there a FBS school that would compare to #7 ranked Weber?

krindor
        Ute Fan
        @krindor

Right now Sagarin has Weber St as the #100 team.

FBS teams right near them include

• #97: Boston College
        • #98: Liberty
        • #99: Stanford
        • #100: Weber St
        • #101: UAB
        • #102: UNLV
        • #103: Rice

So certainly not elite company, but not Sam Houston St (#144) or Southern Utah (#177) or Utah Tech (#216)

22Ute22
          Ute Fan
          @utedagoat

Hmm, a lot of those don’t make much sense. I don’t see how Boston college is ahead of Rice. Rice beat Houston and lost by 27 to Texas. Boston College lost to Northern Illinois, who just got beat by FCS southern Illinois (number 16 in FCS rankings) this past week. Boston College also barely beat FCS Holy Cross (ranked 5 in FCS). Liberty is also 2-0. Regardless, we should win quote comfortably.

Kirk Kettner
        Ute Fan
        @cwatkins02

BYU

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

Their coach’s last name is Mental.

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

Utah coasts against Weber by 17 or so. Then utterly demolishes ucla.

At Oregon St? That will be epic. Hope we win but it’s a tall task

3 3

Ghost of the HEB
        Ute Fan
        @deseretgentlman

17? That’d be looked at as an L

2 1

RedUte14
        Ute Fan
        @redute14

17 would be some poor football by the Utes. should win by at least 4 scores

Tacoma Ute
          Ute Fan
          @tacomaute

Weber is good and Kyle usually takes it easy on them.

22Ute22
            Ute Fan
            @utedagoat

Whitt and Ludwig would be foolish if they “take it easy” on Weber this year. They need to let Nate air it out and build chemistry with the WR’s. If that means we run up the scoreboard in the process, so be it.

//r00t4Utes
          Ute Fan
          @r00t4utes

Uhmm 17 points is 4 scores.

Three field goals and a TD = 16pts

RoboUte
      Ute Fan
      @hamplate

They offered their head coaching position to one of our defensive coaches last year.

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

They’re starting right tackle from last year, Hake Eichorn transferred to TDS and isn’t in TDS’s two deep. Not sure why. That’s all I know.

22Ute22
      Ute Fan
      @utedagoat

I just watched their game against Northern Iowa (just dropped out of the rankings). It’s on YouTube if you want to watch it. Here are the stats:

Weber State had 15 first downs and 390 yards. Northern Iowa had 21 first downs and 358 yards. So why was this a 34-17 win for Weber State? Turnovers. Weber State had 6 takeaways, winning the turnover battle by 5. Many of these were terrible mistakes by UNI. UNI actually had success passing, outside of the interceptions. I don’t think Weber State’s secondary is strong by any means. Their front 7 looks stout though. They had a good amount of sacks, pressures, and were good in defending the run. I will watch UNI’s game against Iowa State next. Worst case scenario should be us winning by 21 like ISU did against UNI. Best case we win by 42 and have at least 500 total yards, and that’s with trying to burn the clock all game.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Thanks all for the replies, we need to have more opponent previews instead of just speculating which Utes will be coming off injury.

Their RB, Damon Bankston, does look stout and they seem to be run-first on ohfense, so it will be strength vs strength going up against the Utes’ run defense. From the sounds of their secondary, maybe the Utes can exploit that if Lud opens up the ohfense to go more downfield. Whitt did say something about when playing a non-P5 team the Utes can take the opportunity to try new personnel and experiment, so not so sure on a blow-out score, plus they are Top-10 in FCS. I hope he tries-out Rising’s knee for a few series!!

Hodgiedooing
      Ute Fan
      @hodgiewood

Defensive secondary is their weakness. I would hope to see Rising play as I’m sure he is chomping at the bit to play; that would in my eyes be an easy 4+ score win. That being said, I perceive a 2 score win over Weber (Rising out) with their defensive secondary having a better chance with Risen on the sideline another game. That would also provide additional strengthening and heeling time for more challenging games for the Utes.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Somebody tell me something, anything, about Weber State