Sonora Mexico killings

Viewing 4 reply threads

User Suspended
      @a2ute

I throw this question out to the utehub gang as most of you are Mormon.

Were the people tragically killed part of the Mormon church or a polygamist subset of the church?

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

From what I have read, a little of both. Some were polygamists. Some were not.

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

Seems unrelated to their involvement with any particular religious based group.  My perception is they were mistaken for a rival drug cartel.

MussMan
          Ute Fan
          @mussman

They weren’t mistaken for a rival cartel. It was a targeted attack on this family. They have a history of trying to stand up to the cartels, and the cartels are trying to make a statement to them.

Here’s an article from back in June talking about 2 other relatives of the family who were murdered by the cartel.
          https://www.wearethemighty.com/news/mormon-colonies-fighting-drug-cartels-

jamarcus24
      Ute Fan
      @jamarcus24

The story I read described them as members of an offshoot church.  It also used the term fundamentalist but didn’t directly imply that’s what they were.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Nine people (six children) were horrifically killed.  Does it matter what religion they belonged to?

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints issued a statement, expressing sadness of the tragedy and clarifying that the deceased are not members of that church — i.e., the deceased are part of an offshoot.

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/church-statement-mexico-tragedy-2019

1 1

pdxute
        Ute Fan
        @pdxute

They were Mormons, though not members of the Utah-based church.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Why does the Mormon Church care whether or not the family is in their church or another Joseph Smith-following church???

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

Probably because the media asked them about it a bunch.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Sonora Mexico killings