Spring ball starts tomorrow – What do want to see?

Viewing 6 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I guess I am most interested in the QB position. We know what Cam can do, but I am interested to see/hear if he is 100%. I am very interested in Rose and his development. I suspect Wilson will not be physically participating in spring practice.

Running back is another interesting group. Who will emerge as RB1?

We have a bunch of new wide receivers. Who will become the deep threat? Singer, Pittman, Money?

Who will emerge as our starting safeties?

Is Barton healthy or not?

Oh, and is Kuithe back to what he was in 2022?

Go Utes!!!

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

I think we learn very little from Spring ball. IMO, the most important thing is getting the youngsters and new comers (transfer portal dudes) lots of reps so they’re comfortable and prepared for Summer.

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

NO SIGNIFICANT INJURIES!!!!!

(Was I clear enough?)

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

How about a f**king practice? Open the practices outside back up. There are few things better than a warm, sunny day standing around watching football in the spring. Gives you hope.

BD
        Ute Fan
        @flyfisherman

I agree. I used to attend as many as I could in the Spring – especially the scrimmages. Sucks that they are closed now.

UtesRule
        Ute Fan
        @utesrule

Chances of that happening…0%

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I want to see guys literally flying around with jetpacks or at least a bunch of ultralights. If they aren’t going to let us watch the action, they should at least show us some pictures of all the flying around that allegedly happens at these practices.

1 1

Uteanooga
      Ute Fan
      @uteanooga

What was Barton’s injury- ACL? If it was a complete tear requiring surgery, he will certainly not be healthy yet.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Lisfranc on his foot is what I read.

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

I heard this too. I heard in early January from a family member that he was good to go. However, someone on this board posted that they had heard that he might not play. So, I wondered if there were some setbacks.

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

Lisfranc injuries have the potential to be career ending. That’s one that I wouldn’t want him to come back before necessary and there really isn’t anything to learn about Barton by having him participate in spring. Use the reps elsewhere and make sure he is able to heal completely.

ProudUte
              Ute Fan
              @proudute

I don’t disagree. However, the family member I talked to said that he could have played in the bowl game and he and his family decided against it, because the risk was not worth it. Basically, I was told that he was good to go.

2008 National Champ
                Ute Fan
                @cptmrgn05

I could have phrased it differently. The are many injuries that athletes play through or return before they are “100%”. Usually it comes down to a nebulous calculation which attempts to take into account the chances that the athlete can either reinjure or lengthen the recovery time. Rising playing last September would have been an example. Another would have been Jackson continuing to play last year even though he aggravated the injury every game but apparently didn’t make it worse.

On the other hand, as a football player there were always two injuries that truly worried me: ribs and Lisfranc, although in our day it was always called broken arches.

Ribs because you can’t immobilize them to allow them to heal – even breathing becomes excruciating – and playing with broken ribs leaves you exposed to reinjury on every play. I have a ton of respect for anyone who plays football with ribs injuries. Flak jackets help but it really comes down to pain threshold.

The arches because it robs you of everything that makes you an athlete. Those little bones in the feet just never seem to heal and not many realize just how important their feet are until every step feels like walking on hot coals. You can’t push off which means you lose speed and the ability to jump. And if you don’t get that foot into a boot immediately and keep it there until everything is completely healed, it can be a “lifetime” injury that leads to ankle, knee, hip, back and joint pain.

I’m not smart enough to put all of that in one quick sentence but fully support the Barton family having him sit and not risk his career for a meaningless game. And would also fully support him doing nothing more than conditioning and sitting in on meetings this spring.

Utes 69
      Ute Fan
      @slc123

offense!

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Spring ball starts tomorrow – What do want to see?