Tafuna roughing

Viewing 2 reply threads

W16Ute
      Ute Fan
      @w16ute

On that 4th down in the 4th quarter, Tafuna certainly was offsides but how was that roughing the passer? I’ve watched it again but the sound on my Xfinity broadcast went out for the last quarter for some reason so maybe the announcers explained something but all I can see is that he was hitting him low (might have been blocked/tackled into his legs) but I don’t know of a rule against that.

Any insight?

UrbanLiar
      Ute Fan
      @urbanliar

There are some limited exceptions to the general rule but it appears the call was a hit below the knees while the QB was in a throwing position.
      2014 NCAA Rule Prohibiting QB Hit Below Knees

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Urban is correct. There is a strike zone for the QB and the call was correct since he hit him below the knees.

W16Ute
        Ute Fan
        @w16ute

Got it. I remember that rule in the NFL a while ago but didn’t remember it in NCAA.

Thanks.

dwainegf
      Ute Fan
      @dwainegf

I disagree, He was falling down after running over the center. He hit the QB above the knee much closer to the hip. The call was incorrect IMO.

Dallas
        Ute Fan
        @dallas

That’s a homer take. It was a bad hit and got flagged.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Dallas is right. It may not have been his intention, but it doesn’t have to be intentional to be a penalty.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

The play should have been called dead the instant Tafuna made contact with the center but he got to the QB so fast, I’m not sure the whistle was blown quick enough. Definitely a penalty as Dallas and CC Ute have stated.

bopahull
          Ute Fan
          @bopahull

They don’t call plays dead on offside penalties. That gives the offense an opportunity to complete the play without the possibility of a negative outcome.

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

They do if there is contact before the ball is snapped.

bopahull
              Ute Fan
              @bopahull

I think the ball was snapped before actual contact on that play. But you are probably correct.

2008 National Champ
                Ute Fan
                @cptmrgn05

there were two flags on the play. Offsides and roughing the passer. The offsides was declined and the roughing accepted. It was bang bang but Tafuna made contact just before the ball started moving.

TV showed it a few times and even froze it.

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

Ute Thunder is correct. Offsides with contact and/or Offsides unabated to the QB, the play will be called dead.

Even on the slo-mo replay, Tafuna got there faster than the refs could pull their flags or blow their whistles. That man was movin’

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Tafuna roughing