Tapuvae Amaama

Viewing 2 reply threads

RustyShackleford
      Ute Fan
      @shakyute13

Anyone know why we haven’t offered him? He’s the 12 ranked player in the state and has Ute ties. Also he is seen flashing the U in this Polynesian Bowl pic. 

NarfUte
      Ute Fan
      @narfute

Slow feet and needs to lose a little weight – kind of a project for OL. I’m sure he’d get at least a PWO offer if we wanted him as his brother is on the recruiting staff. Same story at the Y, they pulled his offer and would give him a PWO 

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

If I had to venture a guess I’d say interior OL is not a need in this class. Sometimes it’s just a matter of timing when it comes to offering certain players scholarships. Plus he’s a project at best

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

Why don’t you think IOL is a need in this year’s class?

I usually look 3 years down the road when it comes to O-Line since there is a lot of development most need before being ready to compete at a P5 level. I know Utah has had freshman/redshirt freshman starting the last couple of years but that was more out of necessity than ability. In a perfect world. O-Line recruits would get two years to replace bad weight with functional, be fully acquainted with the schemes and earn valuable but lower stress reps before being asked to step in against the best the conference has to offer.

Granted that timeline goes out the window if Utah is able to bring in a Penei Sewell, but that level of recruit isn’t in Harding’s wheelhouse yet.

AZUTE
          Ute Fan
          @azute

Because there are only 85 scholarships available and Utah currently has 8-10 underclassmen G or C on the roster. That way I don’t think it’s a position of need especially for a Looong term project.

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

This prospect specifically rather than O-Line in general?

When it comes to O and D Lines, I don’t think you can ever have enough bodies. And at Utah’s level of recruiting, I’m not convinced that they are in a position to expect that freshman recruits – who by definition are one dimensional in their experience due to the limited offenses that are run in high school – will be ready step in and compete immediately. So I view all recruits at those positions as projects in the current landscape and would be looking forward to the time when those 8-10 underclassmen you mentioned move on.

It sounds like this kid would come in as a PWO which really has no downside. He gets access to the facilities and a chance to prove his worth. If he doesn’t pan out, he has the opportunity through the portal to find a school/level which better suits his talents. If he chooses to stick it out and proves to truly be good enough to contribute, there are opportunities to determine whether to put him on scholarship down the road.

Utesbyfive
              Ute Fan
              @utesbyfive

I’m mystified why people on this forum think the Utes need to offer every Utah kid. Don’t you think they have other options? The days are long gone when they have to shotgun offer every kid in the state. Utah coaches are good at evaluating talent. If they didn’t want him, then who am I, or you, or anyone to second guess them? They have produced a great on-field product for years. That’s good enough for me.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Tapuvae Amaama