Tavion

Viewing 4 reply threads
      5 2

Ben
      Ute Fan
      @argentino15

Some buzz on Twitter that Tavion is officially on break from the team. I think my hope is he can get his life in order and contribute next year. If he does this year…even better. Bummer for him. Will be interesting to see if jaylon, JJ or others get more involved in run game moving forward. Cam and Micah certainly had the bulk of carries against USC.

Tednab
      Ute Fan
      @tednab

At this point he’s been more of a distraction than a contributor .. coaches have been extremely patient with him .. Maybe our depth and RB wasn’t all it was cracked up to be. Whatever the case, someone needs to step it up , Cam shouldn’t be providing most of the rushing yards every week

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

We DID have 3 solid choices at RB.  We’re down to one plus JJ. 

13 6

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Why do people feel the need to air the dirty laundry of others on social media? Tavion is clearly struggling. We can all see that. Spreading rumors, true or not, will do nothing but harm.

Tavion already took it upon himself to all-but-ask people to quit starting rumors about him on Twitter… just leave him tf alone.

3 6

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

Most people in the US spend their days talking about other people – so and so did this, so and so did that…

tanute3
        Ute Fan
        @tanute3

How is this airing out dirty laundry? We (as fans) are wondering if he will be playing for the team we cheer for.

7 7

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

I was mostly referring to the original tweet… but to answer your question with a question: How is spreading (unsubstantiated) rumors about someone taking a break from the team NOT airing out dirty laundry?

I would hope that you don’t have some fanatical need to know if so and so is going to play in a game that isn’t happening for another week. If you do have a need to know why Tavion is struggling, and it is really that pressing, go ahead and send him a DM, or speak with a representative of the team. i’m sure they’ll give you all the information you need to know (which is zero).

The dork who sent out the original tweet wasn’t doing us all a solid. He just feels better about himself when he is able to get the scoop before everyone else. He isn’t helping the team by doing this, he isn’t helping Tavion… So who exactly is he benefiting by doing this? Himself, that is the answer. If what you are doing is going to *BEST CASE SCENARIO* help you and only you (in the smallest most petty kind of way really) then you shouldn’t be doing that thing.

These types of tweets are damaging to the individual, and the team. If you are a fan, you should want these kinds of things to stay under wraps until game time at least.

Stone
            Ute Fan
            @stone

The original tweet says that Tavion missed a team meeting and didn’t practice. That is hardly “dirty laundry.” Whether it is true, I have no idea. But it is not salacious material. 

Also, nothing about this thread or the original tweet is digging into “why” Tavion in struggling. 

Whether a starting player is playing this week is perfectly reasonable to want to know. It is no more fanatical than wanting to know who is injured or starting at any position. If such interest deems one a dork, then I guess every participant on this site (and pretty much everyone that watches or follows sports) is also a dork. So be it. 

Who does it benefit when a reporter or fan discusses a team? I guess we are all petty.

chinngiskhaan
              Ute Fan
              @chinngiskhaan

A starting player is not playing this week.

Stone
                Ute Fan
                @stone

Hilarious. Reporting of the future: “A team won a game today.” “A player played today.” “Some players are unhappy about something.” “Coach possibly not fully pleased with action of person that might be on team.”

3 2

UrbanLiar
              Ute Fan
              @urbanliar

Incorrect. Read the original tweet. It refers to Tavion being gone from the team for the time being. The spreading of that rumor is a lot stronger than just missing a practice.

Stone
                Ute Fan
                @stone

“for the time being” – yes, that is in the original tweet. And it is hardly a “strong” rumor, if he missed practice (is that even remotely surprising that a player that missed practice might not be part of the team for some time?). He might be gone for a day, few days, a week, months, etc. The qualifier “for the time being” leaves open all possibilities. 

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

I’m not disagreeing with your larger point of some “news” should be private until the individual/team decides to release it. But do you have the same reaction when a credentialed journalist does the same thing as the tweet did? Investigative reporting, while intrusive, has pretty much been considered acceptable for a long time.

chinngiskhaan
              Ute Fan
              @chinngiskhaan

Yes… I have the same reaction. Until I hear it from the horse’s mouth, it’s not news… especially these kinds of rumors that are centered around a young man’s mental health.

Stone
                Ute Fan
                @stone

Strangely, for all of your griping, the only person on this thread that has even so much as speculated as to the reason for what has occurred is you. Nobody mentioned Tavion’s “mental health” except you. Aside from your statement, it could have been due to any number of things that are completely unrelated to mental health. Maybe reconsider who is actually airing dirty laundry.

RustyShackleford
            Ute Fan
            @shakyute13

TT is the only one who can stop the rumors, if he refocused and started playing nobody would be talking about this. If he didn’t take his pads off with 5+ min left in the game if he would have celebrated with his teammates after a huge win. Nobody would be talking about this.

2 5

chinngiskhaan
              Ute Fan
              @chinngiskhaan

You know who else can stop the rumors? The people flapping their lips in the first place. The people starting the rumors can stop them before they ever get started.

16 2

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

1. These kids sign up to be in the limelight.  For good or bad.

2. I don’t see anyone airing dirty laundry here.  We’re just fans that would love to know what happened to our star running back.

3. He could easily squash any false rumors if he/the team would let simply let us know what’s going on.

4. He’s not even close to the running back he used to be, so I have to question whether this is that big of a loss right now.  We’ve been delegated to being a passing team this year, which to be honest, is kind of cool.

5. Not one Ute fan wishes anything but the best for the kid.  If football isn’t his thing, good on him, he should go find happiness.

6. All in or in the way.

9 1

tanute3
          Ute Fan
          @tanute3

Exactly. This isn’t spreading rumors or unsubstantiated claims. It was confirmed that Tavion missed practices/film studies. It’s perfectly reasonable for us as fans to wonder if he’ll be playing on the team or not… We clearly ALL wish him the very best, regardless.

DrahtUte
      Ute Fan
      @drahtute

Are the coaches thinking now that Jaylon Glover isn’t going to be ready to significantly contribute this year?

I haven’t looked at any stats but it seems like the coaches were doing what they could to get him carries early in the season but now they aren’t looking to him at all. 

I didn’t notice any real problems with him other than missing some openings in the lines once or twice.  Any news running back will do that though. 

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

I don’t think we can conclude that the coaches don’t like Glover.  It’s possible that they are trying to preserve his redshirt.  Or maybe they LOVE him…

…but not necessarily vs ranked teams.  He IS a “true freshman” after all, and nobody fumbles the ball quite like an inexperienced “true freshman”.  Betcha we see more of him in games we’re leading by 2-TDs in the 4th-Qtr, or 3-TDs in the 3rd-Qtr.  

Glover will likely see the field vs Stanford and Colorado, but perhaps NOT so likely vs Oregon.

UrbanLiar
          Ute Fan
          @urbanliar

Agreed. It’s likely based on the very difficult learning curve of picking up pass blocking coverage.

Distantute
          Ute Fan
          @distantute

Coaches dont protect redshirt years for rbs.

RustyShackleford
        Ute Fan
        @shakyute13

I think it’s more of the other back besides Bernard aren’t good at blocking yet

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

“When I start ballin…” 🤣🤣🤣 Playoff expectations you came in to the season out of shape and overweight. You had your chance, You are not going to “ball”. PERIOD.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Coaches LOVE Glover. He’s going to be a good one before he’s done. A redshirt was an option prior to the TT stuff. With Curry down as well I’m not sure it is any longer but we’ll see how it plays out.

I’ll speak to the Tavion situation a bit. His continued issues are 100% self made. This has been an internal battle since March and I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a player in this program be given more chances before someone finally said enough is enough. That includes coaches and teammates!

That said, I’m not going to offer up the reasons why (respectfully) but I will say his attitude and effort have not meet the standard for our program and that’s continued for months now.

He’s an incredible talent, has some of the best vision we’ve ever had here and when he plants that foot in the ground and hits that hole it makes you say wow! I truly hope he still has a path to being able to showcase that as a Ute but IMO he has to earn that opportunity.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.