tds series in Football has been extended through 2022. Why???

Viewing 16 reply threads

UtesMuss1
      Ute Fan
      @utesmuss1

Utah and tds Extend Football Series

SALT LAKE CITY—The agreement between Utah and tds to play each other annually on a home-and-home basis has been extended two years through 2022, both schools announced today. The two teams were already contracted to play through 2020. Future Utah-tdsfootball games are scheduled as follows:

Sept. 9, 2017, at tds
      Nov. 24, 2018, Salt Lake City
      Aug. 29, 30 or 31, 2019, at tds
      Sept. 3, 4 or 5, 2020, Salt Lake City
      Sept. 11, 2021, at tds
      Sept. 3, 2022, Salt Lake City

“This game has a great deal of interest throughout the state and both schools worked hard to find dates in 2021 and 2022, even as long-term scheduling has become very difficult,” said Utah Director of Athletics Dr. Chris Hill.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

The legislative mafia here in this state. 

UtesMuss1
        Ute Fan
        @utesmuss1

Greg Hughes strikes again. Everybody needs to vote him and his cronies out on election day. Hughes, Dan McKay, Todd Weiler, anyone else invovled, they all need to go.

hnoseguard
      Ute Fan
      @hnoseguard

Goddammit so much.

User Suspended
        @a2ute

I suspect Dr. Chris Hill was threatened. Schedule the state run church school or lose your job. 

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

What a waste. Only 12 games a year and we blow one on those tools. Nothing to gain and everything to lose. Just stupid.

Utebeam
      Ute Fan
      @utebeam

The reality is these two teams are tied together and have been for decades. I think it is unreasonable, regardless of personal feelings, to ever think they will not play one another. Follow the money. These games sell out both RES and LES.

What will be interesting to see is IF Utah continues to dominate the series(I believe they will) will that impact the scheduling in the future. I would bet there will be less and less desire to schedule if attendance goes down due to the onesided nature of the contest not to mention the “other” influences that are tired of seeing their team get beat year after year. The rivalry will die on its own if there doesn’t seem to be a chance of the other team winning. I would be interested to see attendance at the rivalry games in the 80’s vs now. Was attendance lower because Utah struggled to win for so many years. 

As Utah continues to increase the recruiting quality of players and BYU struggles to attract the same quality of players the series will become more lopsided. Of course I think that BYU does have the ablity to win a couple here or there but in the long run they are going to struggle unless they find a P5 conference to call home.

bopahull
        Ute Fan
        @bopahull

In the 80’s we were lucky to get 15 or 20 thousand fans to a game. (Much easier to hit the head and then grab a brat and still get back in your seat before the end of halftime). About the only sellouts was the TDS game.

AlaskanUte
      Ute Fan
      @kenaiute

It will all go away when Ybu becomes a member of the Big Sky conference. Until then, we just keep beating them like a drum.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Not cool. I would rather sever this dysfunctional relationship . 

Milton Vanderslice
      Ute Fan
      @miltonvanderslice

I can deal with extending the series.  But to play them past September is UNACCEPTABLE.  We have conference title games to think about every year and an additional chance of a meaningless injury is just stupid.

Dhisatake
      Ute Fan
      @dhisatake

Can’t severe the relationship until the people in office who waste taxpayers money to perform audits on the U are voted out.

I’m a little bit torn on the idea of just scheduling another P5 plus BYU with playing 9 conference games. It’s a little bit of damned if you do damned if you don’t scenario. Playing 11 of 12 games against serious competition is a pretty daunting task.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I’m against it.  I see no value in the Utes playing the Cougars at this point.  If I was in charge at Utah, I would ask – What value does this bring us?  We will sell out regardless.  I would much rather have a home and home with another P5 school.  Other major rivlaries have stopped when conference re-aliginment occured; i.e. Texas/TAMU, Nebrasks/Oklahoma, etc.

I do find it funny that the one time we play BYU in November – it is in SLC.  They have the worst home schedule in the country in the month of November.

Tomasina
      Ute Fan
      @tomasina

Not a fan of this game being the first of the season, which it looks like a few of these are.  If we are going to play them, make it the second or third of the season.

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

You guys are all wrong about this.  You love the Deseret First Credit Union Duel.  We all do.

According to the local and national media, the fact that we hate BYU is proof that it’s an important game to us.  I used to think otherwise, but the local and national media set me straight.  Thanks media.

By the way, did you know BYU doesn’t count six games when they were known as BYA?!? The schools can’t even agree what the overall series record is!  Wow, what an amazing rivalry!

Also, every meeting comes down to 7 points or less except for the times when we just beat the hell out of them.  I recently learned that too from a very insightful news article.

In conclusion, the Deseret First Credit Union Duel is a great rivalry and we all love it.

Thank you.

Riot West
      Ute Fan
      @riotwest

Maybe the U told them, “you clean up your honor code bulls**t, and we will schedule a couple more games with you.” BYU-P then revises its reporting system for rapes (yeah, we’ll see how this plays out – especially if it’s a same-sex sexual assault), and they were rewarded with more future ass kickings.

High Uintas
      Ute Fan
      @highuintas

It’s funny that every Ute fan board I read, Utah fans hate the idea of playing BYU. But if I go to their fan boards, they are convinced that 90% of Utah fans love the idea. Of course it doesn’t help that a number of Utah fans go to their boards as some self-appointed peacekeeper and coddle them by saying that all reasonable Utah fans love playing BYU.

GoUtes
      Ute Fan
      @goutes

I’m going to get killed for this but I enjoy the BYU game every year. I would much rather play BYU than some lower tier P5 team just so we can say that we had a non-conference P5 team on our schedule. I think this year’s game, being a hard-fought highly emotional game, prepared us well for conference play. I also think that traditional rivalries are part of what makes college football great. I don’t understand all of the anger over this.

St George Ute
      Ute Fan
      @stgeorgeute

I’m okay with playing BYU, I just don’t want to do it every year. I’m all for playing an in-state school. I’d just like to alternate between them and Utah State.

In my opinion, the optimal OOC schedule would include one lower tier G5 or FCS school as a tune-up game, one in-state game (alternating Utah St and BYU), and one out of conference P5 (preferably B1G to build up the PAC12/B1G “rivalry”).

Anonymous
      Inactive

Only one thing more satisfying than a good old fashioned curb stomping of the Zoobs…

Viewing 16 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football tds series in Football has been extended through 2022. Why???