Telescoping flag poles and flags

Viewing 3 reply threads

AgouraUte
      @agouraute

The flags that are waived in RES after touchdowns on the telescoping poles. Where do you get them? I would like to bring one to RES South for the game.

Also – has anyone had luck bringing one into RES South before?

2 2

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Telescoping flag poles. For people who don’t get enough satisfaction from p**sing people off by wearing tall hats.

Grimmetal
      Ute Fan
      @grimmetal

The campus store has an entire rack of them. And flags.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Haha good luck. Remember that time in the 90s when we scored a TD down there and that scrawny zoob freshman jumped out of the stands to wrestle the Utah flag away from our male cheerleader and our cheerleader beat the ever-loving hell out of him? Yeah, BYU-P’s solution to that was to ban flags. #victimblaming

The ban on flags still exists today.

As an aside, I occasionally work with Val Hale (BYU-P’s athletic director at the time). He currently works for GOED so we cross paths from time to time. Last year I asked him about the flag ban. He just rolled his eyes and told me that decision “came down from above”. He knew it was a stupid solution but he had no choice but to tow the company line.

Great1Ute
        Ute Fan
        @tribute

Sounds like revisionist history from Hale.  I HIGHLY doubt that decision came down from above because he made this statement during the post-game interview: 

I told them from now on we’re going to leave our flags at home and they should do the same,” said former BYU athletic director Val Hale. “All it does is initiate the fans to throw things out of the stands.”  Hale gave us that line after a BYU fan was pummeled by a Utah cheerleader after he jumped out of the stands and tried to mix it up after a Utah touchdown.

So, unless that direction came down during the 4th quarter of the game, the flag ban was all on Hale.  It was such a stupid thing to say at the time–I’ sure he’s embarrassed by it.

PhiladelphiaUte
          Ute Fan
          @philadelphiaute

TribUTE:

If I’m not mistaken, he’d stopped the flag-flying DURING the game!  After that incident, all flags were removed from the sidelines.

Dwight89
        Ute Fan
        @jordan-buckner

So I was at that game as a kid. What an awesome rivalry moment

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Telescoping flag poles and flags