The main reason we play 9 conference games

Viewing 4 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

When the PAC-12 was formed, the California schools wanted to ensure they all played each other every season.  They felt they needed this for recruiting.  So, UCLA and USC will always play the two NoCal schools each season. If we only played 8 games, they would only play one other northern team per year.  

First off – I think it’s time we change the rule that all the Cal schools play each other every season. This is not fair because USC and UCLA do not play Oregon and Washington as often as the rest of the South does. 

Second – We should move to 8 conference games IMO. This will allow schools to add a quality P5 game to their non conference schedule. We would play home and home against three north teams and then rotate to the other three teams.  This is much more fair IMO. 

Do I think this will happen?  No, because USC still controls this conference and they will not support the change.

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

The other reason: to increase the number of games the Oregon and Washington schools play in LA for recruiting purposes. They felt they would be at a big disadvantage if Cal, Stanford, the Arizona and mountain schools played in LA every year and they only played once in a while.

They have to keep it to have enough inventory for the tv contracts.

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

This is such a no-brainer. A quality non-conf win at the cost of not cannibalizing each other will instantly boost P12’s perception, which is exactly why it will never happen.

salty-ute
        Ute Fan
        @salty-ute

If the Cali schools wanna play each other every year, they can schedule a damn non-conference game against the team they’re missing each year. I don’t get why it’s so complicated for the PAC to understand 8 conference games is a huge advantage

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

The extra in conference game guarantees that half the teams in the conference have an extra loss. Playing an OOC game of course means that is still possible, but this guarantees it.

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

^this

sweetgrass
      Ute Fan
      @sweetgrass

I disagree with this.  Unfortunately schools will add another FCS opponent vs. A quality opponent if we drop to 8.  Example look at nearly every SEC’s OOC schedule and that’s what you’ll get.  

That’s not good for college football.  There’s a reason all of the other P5 conferences, except the SEC have gone to a 9 game conference schedule.

Warrior Ute
        Ute Fan
        @warriorute

Yes it makes for fewer strong games and is not as good a product.  However the SEC using the 8 game model often have the discussion about getting two teams in the playoff.  Because most teams have an additional win out of conference it makes all the teams they beat in conference look stronger than they may actually be.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I understand where you are coming from and I don’t have a huge problem with the 9 conference games.  I have a problem with the way it works.  It is not fair.  I think it’s time to change things around and not allow the Cal schools to play each other every year.  Also, if we played 8 conference games, I would hope that the Utes would schedule more games back east like Florida.  We could use the exposure.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football The main reason we play 9 conference games