There’s diamonds in them thar hills

Viewing 3 reply threads
      3 6

User Suspended
      @a2ute

kwhitt going diamond hunting again…. .800 star JUCO LB.  I guess this is the answer to the LB concern…

https://247sports.com/player/jeremy-mercier-46098880/

mfaulk80
      Ute Fan
      @mfaulk80

Juco players don’t really get evaluated much.  The rating means next to nothing.  

Having said that, hopefully he bulks up quickly with a good weight training program.  He seems athletic and has good instincts, but he needs to add some weight IMO.  He looks like he has the frame to do it though….

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

Time will tell .. coaching staff are good at developing.. when you’re not racking any 5 stars and the occasional 4 star ; what’s your expectations pace .. recruiting has been improving over the years and you’re seeing the results of that on the field

3 6

User Suspended
          @a2ute

Expectation with JUCO and Portal players is that they play immediately… save your effort to “developing time” on HS players.

Must say that if kwhitt thinks this JUCO LB is the answer for next year then I’m a bit concerned. 

FtheY
          Ute Fan
          @fthey

I agree with development. We also recruited well this year and improved, no doubt about it.

The tough part is we don’t have the luxury of time to tell at LB. 

This dude could absolutely be a diamond in the rough. The thing to consider is that every player below our average has lower odds of contributing immediately, which is what we need. 

2 5

User Suspended
        @a2ute

I understand the JUCO’s don’t get the evaluation attention then HS athletes, but his only other offer is Utah State?  Doesn’t seem like kwhitt tried very hard on this one.

Also, in regards to your concerns about weight – I agree. Offering a JUCO and Portal player “should” mean that the expectation is he will have an impact NOW….not down the road

EutawStreet
        Ute Fan
        @eutawstreet

247Sports is using a picture of Mj Harris as Mercier on his recruiting page.  Did they use his rating as well?

https://twitter.com/Mjharris9/status/1221968541064126464

4 2

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Pace,

You do a lot of player evals do ya?

I’m sorry remind which D1 Coaching staff you’re on?

What have you ever done in football or life for that matter that qualifies you to second guess Whittingham?

DrJazzy
      Ute Fan
      @docute

Pace translator: Coach Whitt needs to offer Ray Lewis. He needs to try harder – Ray Lewis would be more helpful. This is so obvious – why can’t Coach Whitt see this, I with zero sports knowledge can see this. 

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football There’s diamonds in them thar hills