This game is not like UNLV 2007

Viewing 4 reply threads

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

Seeing a lot of comparisons of Saturday’s loss to the 27-0 loss to UNLV in 2007 in terms of this being a wake-up call for the team. 

That UNLV loss was very different because it wasn’t just the loss that served as the wake-up call. It was what Kyle did after the loss that was the turning point. Utah opened that season with losses to Oregon State and Air Force, then crushed UCLA 44-6 before getting blown out by UNLV. Kyle knew something was wrong but wasn’t sure what. So he met with every single upper classmen from the team, one-on-one, to get their thoughts on what the problem was.

IIRC, the consensus was that Kyle and the coaches were riding the team too hard. Trying too hard to be Urban Meyer 2.0. Kyle and the coaches made some changes in their approach to leading the team and the team went on to finish the last 9 games going 8-1 before going 13-0 the following season.

Unless there is an addressable problem in the program, and Kyle is meeting with all of the upper classmen to find out what it is, this game is not like UNLV 2007. 

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

UNLV 2007 was a much worse loss than last Saturday.   Played in a half-empty stadium against a team that finished (I believe) with just 2 wins, as compared to a very loud passionate sell-out crowd against a team that should win a lot more than 2 games.   Not to mention leaving Vegas with a zero on the scoreboard.

UNLV is arguably the biggest WTF loss by any Utah team I can remember.  We did follow up that game rather nicely however.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

What if its like the Oregon State loss in 2007 and Kyle waits until the 3rd loss to ask the upper classmen what is wrong?

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Agree, that UNLV loss was a total meltdown. That said, can’t overlook Utah starting with the 2019 Oregon loss is 4-5 in their last nine games. Utah’s last four wins are against OSU (who choked that game away to Utah), WSU (come back win), Colorado (probably best game out of all of the nine) and Weber. Call it a no show game against BYU. Bottom line is not much has changed with the weak offensive line since 2019, it might be worse now. Defensive line is showing some vulnerability. SDSU game should show more of where this team is headed.

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

We really haven’t had a solid 60 minutes against an FBS opponent in a very long time.  Every game last year had at least one really bad half and with Texas and Oregon to end 2019, don’t have very nice language to describe those train wrecks.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

What I meant by it feeling like the ’07 UNLV game was this was a really big “WTF” game for me.  Look, I don’t expect us to win every game.  In fact, I have us going 8-4 this year with losses to SC, Oregon, AZ St and one WTF loss.  I just didn’t expect the WFT loss to be BYU.  That’s all.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football This game is not like UNLV 2007