This year vis a vis 2004 and 2008.

Viewing 3 reply threads

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

I’ve been thinking about how this year compares to 2004 and 2008.

2004/2008 we had a lot of things go right. Same QB for the whole year. I also don’t recall any major injuries on either of those teams. They definitely accomplished more than could be expected with those rosters.

2021 – Yes many things went right this year, and I think that is a testament to the strength/depth/heart our football team has. Neither the 2004 nor 2008 team makes the Rose Bowl with the amount of adversity the team saw this year.

Leading RB from last year as well as the starting QB are not on this year’s team. The starter at the beginning of the year was gone before the mid-point of the season. Yes Cam started the game against USC last year, but had very little experience coming into this year. What he did was absolutely amazing.

We lose at least one of our starting OL for the season, lose another teammate who happened to play a position we really suffered major injuries. We have a Sophomore starting at QB for a majority of the season. 2004 we had Alex who’d played the previous year, and BJ was a Senior if I recall correctly.

We lose more quality CBs this year than we probably had on the roster in either of those two years.

Two QBs transfer out mid-season, both of whom were highly recruited, and one who’d led his previous team to a Sugar Bowl with Baylor. We had three QBs on the roster for the Rose Bowl. A sophomore and two freshman.

I don’t need to go into the TJ/AL situation and how it could have affected this team. A team of warriors who banded together through some really hard times.

This season was an absolute success in my mind. So many injuries, two transfers, two dominant wins over the second best team in the Pac12, and a great showing in the Rose Bowl. This year’s team overall had better quality wins, and was less than half a quarter from pulling off one of the two biggest wins in school history. I think Alabama was #1. But we played toe to toe with OSU who was a top 4 team most of the season. 

This is by far my favorite Utah team of all time. They did so much, and went through so much, and gave it their all.

Great year.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I get why many will consider the 2021 season the best ever.  It certainly will be a memorable season for me as we went from a dumpster fire to playing in the Rose Bowl.  

This is how I see this last season.  I can excuse the BYU loss because that was eventually going to happen and we were punched in the face by a team that wanted it more.  The most upsetting loss for me was SDSU.  We played poorly in the trenches.  It was a nice comeback, but we should never have been in that position.  The OSU loss kind of blew my mind.  We played terrible defense and special teams on that night.  But OSU was playing well then and sometimes crap happens.

The turning point really happened in the second half of the ASU game IMO.  We stood up and took control.  Both Oregon games were great!!!  I am proud of how we competed against Ohio State in the Rose Bowl.

BUT – IMO the 2008 season was the most impressive.  We beat two teams that ended up in the top-ten (Alabama and TCU).  We beat three other teams that were ranked in the top-25.  We ended the season ranked number 2 and deserved it IMO.  Going undefeated is very difficult and we did it against top teams.  (Did you know that Florida has never had a season without a loss or tie?)

In the end, the 1994, 2004, 2008, 2019, and 2021 were great seasons.  Everyone will have their own opinion as to which one was the best.  For me, it is 2008.  But, I won’t argue with anyone who feels differently.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Agree, 2008 was an amazing season. 2004 was my favorite season mainly because it was Utah’s first breakout season. My years of going to Utah football games in college were walking up at half time sitting on the 40 yard line. My first Utah football game was Utah losing to Idaho in the early 90s. Coach McBride built the foundation.

2021 was probably the most memorable considering the tragedy these kids faced and the resilience and love they showed for each other. Truly one of KWs best performance as coach on and off the field. Very few programs if any would accomplish what Utah did this year considering the circumstances. No way this team accomplishes what they did without a pure caring, family environment created by KW and the other coaches. The bones of Utah football are unbreakable.

Go Utes!

tarheelute
      Ute Fan
      @tarheelute

For us older fans, the progression provided key dates, when we new things had changed. The twin 34-31 wins cleared the template with defeating BYU and winning the MWC as bell-weathers. I was angry/disappointed with the firing of McBride, but it turned out to be clear message from the UofU AD that expectations had changed. Obviously, the 2004 and 2008 seasons, and subsequent New Years day bowls were proof of concept, resulting in the P12 membership. Fast forward to 2018, 2019 and now 2021, progress, increased respect of the Football program. Now the BYU loss simply a loss, painful, but not a bell-weather. Next year are repeat indicates the Utes are not an flash, but confirmed within a short distance of being elite. And it is nice that we can expect rather than dream about next years prospects.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football This year vis a vis 2004 and 2008.