Time to talk Utah football

Viewing 15 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

There has been about one new thread per day on the board this last week. I want to talk football all 12 months. So, I am going to generate some football-related posts to start discussions.
      The question of the day – What were your favorite Utah football games?
      My top 10 in chronological order:
      – The 1964 Liberty Bowl win against West Virginia. It was on national TV and the first college football game played indoors.
      – Utah upset top-ten ASU in 1973 here in Utah. It was a huge win at the time on a cold November afternoon.
      – Utah came from behind to beat BYU 23-22 in 1978. It was a huge win because BYU was dominating us and the WAC.
      – The 1993 – 34-31 victory in Provo. It was the first time in 22 years that we won in Provo and it forever changed the rivalry game.
      – The 2008 win against TCU. We held strong and came back to win. This led us to an undefeated season.
      – The 2009 Sugar Bowl upset over Alabama and Nick Sabin.\
      – 2015 manslaughter of Oregon at Oregon. Oregon had dominated us since we joined the PAC12. We destroyed them that evening.
      – The 2021 PAC12 championship game in Vegas against Oregon. It was our first PAC12 football championship.
      – The win at home against USC on October 15, 2022. What a crazy game. Rising and Kincaid left everything on the field that night.
      – The 2022 PAC12 championship game against USC. Beating USC is always fun.
      What are your all-time favorite Ute football games?

TX_UTE
      Ute Fan
      @dleemiller

The 1978 win at home for me – spoiler alert, I was a student at that time preparing to graduate and move back to Tejas so I knew that would be the last time I’d see the Utes in person for a while, plus quite frankly, the team stunk on ice for most of the time I was a student so that win was particulary sweet!

Oh, and the others are great wins as well, so Big Thanks for sharing!

krindor
      Ute Fan
      @krindor

Give me the 1994 win over BYU more than the 1993 win.

1993 BYU was mediocre and in a tailspin; beating them was great, but there had been fluke one-off victories before.

1994 proved that it wasn’t a fluke though and that it wasn’t just taking advantage of a down year for BYU – instead it was a real fundamental change in the strength of the Utah program 

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Both were very good wins.  The 1993 win was the beginning of the change in this rivalry.  That’s why I picked 1993.

UrbanLiar
      Ute Fan
      @urbanliar

Good list, but I’d add the Fiesta Bowl on 1/1/05 in there too.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Pitts was not a good team, so it didn’t have the same meaning to me.  But, it was a big win because it was our first NY bowl game and we dominated.

cicampbe
      Ute Fan
      @cicampbe

Utah beats #5 Stanford at home in 2013. It was an amazing game.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

That game was close to making my list.  It was a great win.

Ute95
      Ute Fan
      @utejones67

Just a few of my favorites:

1978 Utah v. BYU

1993 Utah v. San Diego St. w/ Marshall Faulk

1993 Utah @ BYU 

1994 Utah @ #12 Colorado St. 

1994 Utah v. #15 Arizona (Freedom Bowl)

1996 Utah v. #20 Kansas

2001 Utah v. USC (Las Vegas Bowl)

2003 Utah @ BYU (3 – 0  broke their consecutive game scoring streak)

Ute1990
        Ute Fan
        @ute1990

Great list and additions.  Bring back some great memories.

I’ll add 1995 against Fresno State.  One of my favorite games because my friends and I always stayed to the end, win or lose.  So, when we pulled it out in the last seconds, the crowd was thin but our group was going crazy.

Ute95
          Ute Fan
          @utejones67

I was at that game as well. We were going crazy on those old wooden bleachers in the north end zone. Not a lot of people stuck around for that great finish.

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

I had forgotten about the 1996 Kansas game.  They were ranked and the game went back and forth and we won in the end.  I was there.

ALUF
      Ute Fan
      @dbgii77

I wouldn’t say these are my top ten but just the first ones that come to mind

08 TCU
      09 sugar bowl
      08 byu
      18 byu
      22 usc
      21 Oregon
      21 Pac-12
      22 Pac-12
      15 Oregon
      14 usc

Gilly Boy 94
      Ute Fan
      @scottgilberg

2008 victory over TCU. Utah and TCU both highly ranked and that game looked all but over for Utah when Brian Johnson steps up and delivers a magnificent final drive with a game winning touchdown. That win essentially placed utah into the BCS (again) where Utah then went on to spank Alabama. I still contend that while a regular season game, that victory alone did more for the Utah program and its progress since, than has any other win.

Bubbles
      Ute Fan
      @genxute

1988: After 9 straight losses the Utes blew out the zoobs at Rice Stadium. It was my first holy war and a day I will never forget. 

2008: Seeing the shock on the Alabama fans faces after we beat them in the Sugar Bowl was priceless. 

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

The 1998 win against the Cougs was amazing.  We had been manhandled by BYU for years, and on that day we blew them off the field.

PhiladelphiaUte
          Ute Fan
          @philadelphiaute

We lost the ’98 game. #Doink

D T
          Ute Fan
          @azute1

Of course you meant 1988, not 1998.

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

At 13 years old I went to the 34-31 game in Provo and sat 10 rows up in the opposite endzone of Yergensen’s 55 yard winning field goal. My grandpa was given the tickets last minute. He was a Ute Alum but was a cowboy type not to wear school colors, if he even owned such, which I doubt. Our section went absolutely dead quiet when the ball went through the uprights. I remember him looking over at me with a grin on his face. He watched the made field goal through his ancient ranch style binoculars. The only two times he used them that day is during the field goal and when the cheerleaders performed, haha. If memory serves me correctly, someone took a full page ad out of the Deseret news back page of the sports section for that Saturday with the score in red 34 – and blue 31 as a jab at the previous years score, only to have the exact same score repeated. Hilarious. 

CoyoteUte
      Ute Fan
      @coyoteute

2003 @ Colorado State. That was one of my first road trips as a young Ute fan. The old stadium was off campus, so it was a very drunken hostile place at the time. Anyways Arnold Parker took a fumble back 80 yards in the final minutes, and the Utes got the W 28-21. Great trip.
      Also 2007 @ Louisville was a fun one. Remember a fan asking me “what’s up with y’all chicken mascot?” lol.

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

I think Dave Revill put his helmet on the ball to pop it loose. What an amazing play. 

CoyoteUte
          Ute Fan
          @coyoteute

Yessir! That 2003 defense was pretty nasty… That CSU game was also Weddle’s first start if I recall correctly? His fam was sitting near us and had a bunch of signs made.

PhiladelphiaUte
            Ute Fan
            @philadelphiaute

Weddle’s first start was vs Texas A&M in our season opener back in 2004.

Sanders
      Ute Fan
      @sanders

In the early 80’s I was a young teenager and was lucky to attend every home game for free. After halftime I found the closest seat possible with my friends and became a Ute fan forever. If you ever bought a program walking down the hill to the game or on the east stadium side while in your seat we may have had an exchange. During the winter months I helped with some minor clean up in the basketball arena after the games just so I could get in and watch the Utes play!

TCU game & the seven turnovers at BYU – because of the company I was with made it very memorable.

1 1

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Oddly enough… The Kaneshiro doink game is my first favorite Utah game, because that is the game where I knew I was a Utah fan, and my first game at RES (even though I was a TSPP fan at the time as a little kid, I felt myself wanting the Utes to win, and I haven’t looked back since).

– I also really enjoyed the Cal game in SLC when Goff was their QB and Game Day was in town. I brought a huge BYU fan with me (along with several other Ute fans) and he made a fool of himself cheering for the losing team.

– The Fiesta bowl was the first game my entire family watched together as fully fledged Ute fans (also the year my sister began playing sports at the U, great time to be a Ute athlete).

– Ty Jordan’s game vs Washington State also sticks out in my mind as a great day. Everyone that saw that game knew the kid was destined to be the GOAT Ute running back.

– The 2018 TSPP vs Utah game in SLC. That was the game where, by the end, every TSPP fan was as crushed as they could possibly be. Every one of them KNEW deep down that the Utes were the better program. They thought they were back in a big way, only to have their hopes crushed. That was pretty great.

UtesRock
      Ute Fan
      @utahrockon

Blocked punt in the snow at rice eccles 2010! However, 2012 was hilarious 😂? Three chances.

UtesRock
        Ute Fan
        @utahrockon

Past present future USC wins, sugar bowl, fiesta bowl. Playing USC and winning Rose Bowl 2024. 🤞🤞

Zigziggler
      Ute Fan
      @zigziggler

That 05 game against BYU was sooo good!  Brett Ratliff came out of no where to take a big dump on BYU!  Ratty ran for 100+ yards, was just dominating.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

My favorite Utah football game is whichever game was last. I love them all for different reasons.

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Time to talk Utah football