Tony, can I make some usability suggestions?

Viewing 5 reply threads

96GradAlum
      @96gradalum

– the button bar on each post is kind of obtrusive in my mind

suggestion:

1) put the time and category underneath the title of the post and shrink the font and maybe gray them out to minimize them, list category first and then time and an even smaller font … b/c most of the time no one cares about that

2) put the voting buttons at the end of the title (a la uf.n)

3) clicking the title could open it

4) reply button at the bottom of each post aligned left and the fb and twitter icons aligned right in the same div

5) there seems to be several empty lines on each post, that just seems to add to the scrolling

6) re: less button, I’m thinking a small minimize icon (rip it off the web) 

I think you’ve done a really nice job w/ this board!  And thanks for your efforts!   I think removing the button bar at the bottom and tighten up each post will make it much more reader friendly.

Disclaimer:  I’m not a UI/UX guru but I do web app development for a living so I’m not a complete shill 😀 

96GradAlum
      @96gradalum

oh and one more if I may be so bold:   it would be nice if the “Expand All” set a cookie variable and thus is would be sticky across all requests on the home page.  

thanks again!!!

hnoseguard
        Ute Fan
        @hnoseguard

That would be a great enhancement.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

1) put the time and category underneath the title of the post and shrink the font and maybe gray them out to minimize them, list category first and then time and an even smaller font … b/c most of the time no one cares about that

This is a great idea, which is why I already thought of doing that. This is already on my to-do list.

2)put the voting buttons at the end of the title (a la uf.n)

I may move them around.

3) clicking the title could open it

I actually had this feature implemented about a year ago. I canned it for some reason. I’m sure I had a decent reason for it.

4) reply button at the bottom of each post aligned left and the fb and twitter icons aligned right in the same div

I’ve considered similar ideas. Even a “share” button which contains not only the FB and Twitter, but email or whatever else. Work in progress.

5) there seems to be several empty lines on each post, that just seems to add to the scrolling

People can be boneheads and hit the enter key at the bottom of their posts.

I’m not a UI/UX guru but I do web app development for a living so I’m not a complete shill 😀 

I do web development for a living and also UI/IX, and I am also not a complete shill. I’m up for any suggestions and yours are great.

it would be nice if the “Expand All” set a cookie variable and thus is would be sticky across all requests on the home page.

This is a brilliant idea, which I’ve already thought of and have plans to implement it.

6) re: less button, I’m thinking a small minimize icon (rip it off the web) 

Yeah not a bad idea. I already have two icon libraries installed.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Cookie code written on my lunch break today… coming soon.

AUtahManSir
      Ute Fan
      @autahmansir

How do I minimize the space taken up by the chatroom panel?

Ute R Us
        Ute Fan
        @uterus

Try clicking on the red ute hub chat bar on the side.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Check this post:

New Usability Features

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Tony, can I make some usability suggestions?