Troy Taylor — let him breathe, baby

Viewing 4 reply threads

Longview
      Ute Fan
      @longview

This is his FIRST year to install an very new offense.  Taylor’s past experience is very positive.  Our passing game with Huntely IS doing very well.  AND our running game’s challenges are largely not his fault — new offensive line, missing our first string running back.  Let it breathe and play out.  One year of rebuilding is not so much to ask in order to put in place an explosive new system.  If we went back to the old school, maybe we never lose by as much, but we still lose.  Under this new system, we have the potential to win it all.  Let it breathe.

This is Taylors first year in the Pac-12.  Shoudl play-calling be handled differently than in his old league?  yeah.  Experience teaches that.  I hope we don’t throw away the potential we have through impatience.

6 1

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

I think the real question is are we really better off with him than ARod or Brian Johnson for that matter.

cbmute
        Ute Fan
        @cbmute

I think only time will tell. I don’t think one year is enough to know. 

Overall, I think Kyle long ago should have decided the type of offense he wanted to run and stuck with it. On defense coordinators have come and gone and the defense changes a little but the base is always the same.

That should have and should be how the offense is ran. Kyle picks he wants a run, first pro style or a spread team, and recruit to it. Coordinators come and run what your basic offense is with some variation.  

I think Kyle should run a smash mouth grind it out offense with a lot of use from TE’s because that is his personality.  But Taylor is here now so give him sometime and lets see what comes of it. One year is not enough to know. 

As far as the defence goes I trust it will get back on track next year. Histroy is on Kyles side with defence. 

3 1

Utahute72
          Ute Fan
          @utahute72

That was sort of my point. We had four years of trying to pound a square peg in a round hole with trying to make Ludwig a spread OC, then we’ve gone year to year. No wonder we don’t have an identity.

Red Don
            Ute Fan
            @reddon

If you remember, we saw what we were getting from the beginning.  When Kyle took over from Urban he was asked if he was going to continue with the spread offense.  I remember him double-talking around it by stating something about a “modified” spread or some basic offense with some “elements” of a spread. Not much of that ever happened.

Kyle was never in support of anything much other than a bare-bones, grind it out offense.  He may have wavered over the years on occasion, but his true offensive love is no-frills.  TT is a giant move for him and I think it’s understandable he may have some growing pains and even buyer’s remorse at times.  I just hope he has the patience to let TT work it all out.  Taylor didn’t come in to some team where he has to dismantle everything and build it all up from the ground floor.  He’s got a very good QB now, and a presumed great one coming next year, with no pressure to throw him in to the mix right away. I still think the future is bright my friends.

cbmute
          Ute Fan
          @cbmute

I don’t mind how Kyle says he lets the OC do his thing and he doesn’t mirco manage the offense. However, as the head coach you need to have an identity that you want and have the OC coach within that identity. 

Utah’s offense jumps just about yearly on the basics. Power run, TE, No TE’s, spread.  Its all over the place.  How do you recruit to that.  Troy gets to come in here and run his offense.  I think we all hope that this thing takes off and next year is the second coming of Urban. But if Troy’s offense does take off how long is he going to be here.  Not long, because he will be a head coach somewhere.  Then what system is Kyle going to run? Or if his system doesn’t work then what? On to the next OC and the next change in the system. 

I don’t expect Kyle to mirco manage the offense but I’d like to have him decide the identity of the offense and have the OC coach to that identity.  Just like he does with the defense.  That way in a year or two when we have another OC (whether he is fired or moves on to be a head coach) players still have an expectation of what they are doing and recruiting will be more consistent. 

I don’t know why I thought I needed to add more.  I guess I have just thought about this too much over the past eight years:)

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

I like this comment, and the board name also checks out. 

2 2

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

If anybody on this coaching staff should be on the hot seat it’s Harding. That O-line is awful.

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @rickyrules

Why is everyone bagging on Troy Taylor and not Morgan Scalley?  His defense has been absolute garbage for most of the year and especially these last two games.  Everyone wants our offense to return to smash mouth football but what about the defense?  What happened to Sack Lake City and it’s famed toughness?  

Staples
        Ute Fan
        @staples

Agreed, we should be used to seeing offensive struggles by now, but not from the defense, not to this extent. That’s been our calling card – that and our one team crusade to prove that kickers are people too.

cbmute
        Ute Fan
        @cbmute

I think both right now are embarrassing.  By far more disappointing is the defense because I’ve come to expect more from the defense.  But to me more concerning is always the offense. I believe the defense will be fine at least by next year.  They have a great track record and I expect they will get back on track. I have little to no confidence in the offense, because they always seem to struggle. 

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Troy Taylor — let him breathe, baby