Two articles on our defensive backs

Viewing 1 reply thread

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Some nice articles on our defensive backs. Shah believes we will be solid at CB.
      Ritchie
      CB Room

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Don’t understand the worry with this group. Losing Phillips will suck but I don’t think it will be like when Blackmon left. I think Dline will be most improved and then the DBs will benefit from that. 

I am just sweating this QB spot and hoping JJQ, Glover and the rest can carry Utah offensively. 

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

This ^^^

6 1

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Honestly I think the only kinda weakness of this team is going to be the coverage ability of our safeties, and even then it’s at least adequate.

Our CBs are going to be good and deep. Not Phillips level good, but maybe better overall. I don’t think we see much dropoff even if both starters get hurt.

Our Safeties are great, but may not be the best in pass coverage. I don’t remember Bishop ever really getting beat long, but with him and another back there it is possible that they might get baited into stopping the run when they shouldn’t be.

DE – This is the other possible “weakness” of the defense. Very deep here, but I am just not sure we have anyone that is capable of getting 12+ sacks this season. I could absolutely be wrong here, but that was a problem last year.

DT – LOL, unreal talent and depth here. It’s really not fair.

LB – Tons of depth and talent here as well. Was a weakness early on last season, might be the strength of the defense this year with Barton having a year under his belt, and a bunch of other guys gaining experience as well.

The worst starters on our defense were Hubert and Mataele, and they are both gone and replaced by better talent. As long as we don’t leave our DBs on an island because of lack of pressure, we are going to have a top 10 defense this year.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

DE should be a lot of fun. 

Van Fillinger – He has potential. Starter since he was a freshman. Hurt last year. He was/is supposed to be the next great DE. 

Logan Fano – Freshman from BYU. Before he got hurt, he looked like BYU’s best defensive player. As a freshman. If he gets healthy and plays as good as he can…A better Bradlee Anae? His potential is sky high. 

Jonah Elliss – PAC-12 All Conference honorable mention. He just gets better and better every year. 

I’d put my money on Elliss and Fano having the best shot at double digit sacks. Some questions with both, but we have three guys who could potentially get double digit sacks. The potential is there. Can they put it together? 

AlohaUte
        Ute Fan
        @alohaute

I mean, the secondary has burned us the last two seasons. I don’t think its irrational to have concern about it.

UtesRule
          Ute Fan
          @utesrule

But…make that BUT…the D-Line hasn’t been it’s typical Sack Lake City self the past two years.

I expect this years D-Line to be dominant enough that the secondary won’t have as much pressure on it.

D T
          Ute Fan
          @azute1

Don’t lay the blame on the entire secondary.

AlohaUte
            Ute Fan
            @alohaute

Certainly is not entirely on them.  The line and LBs need to a better job in pass rush.  But it’s not irrational have concerns about our secondary. 

5 1

ProudUte
              Ute Fan
              @proudute

No, it’s not irrational.  In 2019 we had an amazing defense, especially our Dbacks.  This team will not be as good as 2019 on defense IMO.  However, I am probably in the minority, but I think we will be better this year than last.  (Maybe just as good with a better Dline.)

EagleMountainUte
                Ute Fan
                @battlegroundute

I think this defense will be as good as 2015 or 2019. Won’t say it will be better but they can measure up to it. Still need a leader to emerge. I think it could be Bishop, O’Toole or Barton. 
                O’Toole is sneaky good. He had a lot of big plays and a lot of ALMOST even bigger plays. Barton is going to be a beast. On paper this defense has been 2 years of waiting to see what it will do. I am so excited. 

Tony (admin)
                  Admin/Founder
                  @admin

Looking forward to seeing what Barton can do. 

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Two articles on our defensive backs