Two years ago I was very confident

Viewing 5 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Going into the game.  Utah was playing great on both sides of the ball.  There was a 200-yard difference from how many yards our offense generated and how much our defense was allowing.  That’s amazing.  I had watched Oregon play multiple times and just wasn’t that impressed, especially after they lost to ASU.  Like with many of you that game was a gut punch.

We are not as good this year as we were in 2019 especially on defense and special teams.  The offense is very good and it was in 2019.

I honestly do not know what to expect.  We played a near-perfect game two weeks ago and destroyed the Ducks.  I do not expect the same thing, because games like that don’t often come around.  We have a team that can beat the Ducks again, but if we start out sloppy – the results could be very different.

It will be a chess match IMO.  The team with the best game plan will have the advantage.  My expectations are lower than 2 years ago, but this game is winnable and I would love to see us in the Rose Bowl.

Go Utes!!!

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Cristobal has been really bad at clock management this year. 🤞

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

I went to the 2019 game. I was shocked before the game that Oregon fans and its commentators all thought Oregon could run the ball on Utah. That made no sense to me. Their analytics showed that Utah in it’s previous 10 games had stopped the run in the first quarter so well that teams abandoned the run the rest of the game. Oregon felt they could break Utah with the run and they sure did. I like this year’s team because they have already been through down times and then learned to get better and fight. That 2019 team was so dominant for 10 games that it never met an uphill battle until the championship game and didn’t know how to responde and the wheels came off. 

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

2019 Oregon came into the CCG with a chip on their shoulder with all the Oline and Dline toughness hype Utah was getting. Utes did not plan or adjust to Herbert running the ball and Oregon pushed Utah around in the trenches. KW has slayed the USC road win dragon and the WTF loss that killed their CCG position.

Agree on the point made about not being challenged much before the Oregon game in 2019. Oregon came in hungry to the 2019 game and punched Utah in the mouth.

Considering Utah has lost the last two CCG games, hard saying what to expect. This team does seem like they’re on a mission though.

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

There was a reason Oregon lost the 2019 game against ASU. Much like the Colorado game this year ; those games were meaningless and Oregon basically had two weeks to prepared for Utah ; and Utah still had to win Colorado to claim the south as I recall .. that extra time of preparation was the difference.. 1. I suspect the ducks are playing injured. 2. Rising and our TE are differences makers 3. This years Oregon’s team isn’t as good as the 2019 ducks .. just my 2

Calgradutedad
      Ute Fan
      @calgradutedad

2019 Oregon had Penei Sewell and Herbert. Sewell was just an overwhelming talent. They also had two other guys on the Phil Steele all PAC 12 offensive line that year including Jake Hanson who missed the second half of the ASU game that year. They do have some good talent on the offensive line this year but no Sewell there. Also I remember at the beginning of the fourth quarter they played “Shout” like it was Oregon home game and the crowd seemed like it was a heavy Oregon crowd. It would be nice to see you all outnumber the Oregon fans this time. I went to both games in Santa Clara but I’m not going this year so the team won’t be burdened by my bad luck again.

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @rickyrules

The big keys for our loss in 2019 were Herbert, Sewell, Holland, Hansen and 2 turnovers.  I know four of those things are in the NFL and hopefully we don’t have any TOs.  I like our chances but we still need to play at the top of our game to win.  

LetItRide
          Ute Fan
          @letitride

They loss was also contributed to the three 4-1 to go failures. Especially early on their side of field.

The energy and confidence shifted tremendously….. plus a couple injuries and then Verdell(whose isn’t playing Friday)broke our back.

We score on 2/3 of those drives and it’s a different ballgame. Meaning closer game.

UteBrook
      Ute Fan
      @utebrook

Maybe I am mistaken, but we were down 21-15 when Julian Blackmon blew his knee, the next play (or within 1 or 2 plays) Verdell went for 70 and it was over. I think Julian’s absence cost us that game, he is that good.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Two years ago I was very confident