UCLA

Viewing 4 reply threads

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

One item I have not seen mentioned in the discussion of key momentum plays from the UCLA loss is a play early in the 4th quarter, Utah down by 3. UCLA was just flagged for intentional grounding, so now facing a long way for a first down. Utah appears to have some momentum. We all remember the next play (a long TD on a drag route across the middle). 

It appears Bishop was responsible for coverage on the drag route. But he was blown up (well before the pass was thrown) by one of UCLA’s receivers (or tight end, it was a large player) right in the middle of the field. In other words, a full-on pick play that knocked Bishop off of coverage. Would Bishop have been able to stop the play otherwise? Who knows… But it was not a complete breakdown in coverage so much as a pick play that made that TD possible.

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

Have seen this particular pick play mentioned somewhere (not sure where as I visit several sites as well as a couple FB pages).   Can’t blame all our troubles that game on the guys in stripes, but did appear to be a missed call.  You have to play well enough that a few officiating mistakes don’t determine the outcome.

stbone
        Ute Fan
        @stbone

To me, it looks like everybody is playing man defense except JT on that play. Vaughn, Phillips, and Bishop stick with their men. Definitely was a lot of contact between the TE and Bishop, but it looks like they both wanted it.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Maybe someone can help me with the rules.  What exactly defines a “pick”?  When I’ve seen it called it involves two receivers running routes that cross within about 5 yds of the LOS causing one defender to be held-up or taken out of coverage by a collision, or process of avoiding a collision with one of the crossing receivers.  Can a receiver block a defender at all before the ball is caught?

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

Recievers can only block before/during the pass if the pass is thrown to a receiver still behind the line of scrimmage.

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

Here is the film (at 1:42) UCLA v. Utah highlights

Not suggesting that the loss is to be blamed on the refs. Just pointing out something that happened. Refs also missed a blatant offsides that resulted in Rising throwing an incompletion under massive pressure. Again, it is what it is. It happens. But still frustrating. Some missed calls are more meaningful than others.

The TE is definitely initiating contact there, not a mutual thing. The TE looks like he went into that route knowing he was going to throw a block to blow up coverage.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Yeah, clearly the TE delivered a huge smack down at the 35 yd line, mid-field.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Watching that film made me hurt, expecially on the interception. There were 3 defenders around Cam’s target. #sadface 

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

What sickens me is that Vele was uncovered at 8 yards. In my mind, Rising had decided he was going to throw Yassmin’s route before the ball was snapped to try to get him some confidence after the big drop right before. The LB’s bailing deep were obviously reading his eyes.

That’s the one part of Rising’s game that hasn’t stepped up this year. He had plenty of time to choose where to throw on that one and not only made the worst choice but also did not throw accurately.

D T
            Ute Fan
            @azute1

I suspect CR redeems himself tomorrow in a big way.

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

Follow up: If you pause it at 9 seconds, you get a great look at what Rising should have been reading. Corners have squatted on the outside receivers showing you that they are in cover 2. O line is holding their own against a 4 man rush. The top side and middle linebackers are both dropping with Yassmin’s route and Vele is just coming out of his break uncovered. We can’t see the safeties yet but without any kind of threat to the outside and Kincaid also running an 8 yard in, they are both free to collapse on the seam route.

That ball needed to be thrown to Vele at that moment. Instead it was a crow’s hop, full windup and an underthrown hospital ball. You can see Yassmin in a backpedal when the defender catches it 3 yards before it gets to him.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.