usc rush def

Viewing 3 reply threads

popbirch
      Ute Fan
      @popbirch

Before you get too worked up about USC winning the south they have a bad rush defense.  

Against Fresno they gave up 206 yards. For reference the following week minnesota held FSU to 57 yard.  Moss will tear them up.  

Utah rushes for 227/game and will likely do that or more against usc def.  Last year Moss had 140 on 25 carries for 5.6 yd/car.    Moss is avg 5.68 yds/carry this year.  He will probably get 30 carries at usc and run for 180 which will be plenty of yards to open up the pass game to give us room to score.  

This game actually stacks up well for us.  We get a lot of pressure on the QB (anae is unstoppable right now) and he will make plenty of mistakes that we can capitilize on.  We can stick the same game plan, control the clock and run away with it.  If they sell out to stop the run because it getting too much  then dixon/simpkins/covey make them pay.  

The air raid that USC runs is not like WSU and sure they will get their points but I don’t see how USC def will keep us out of the endzone enough to pull this out.  

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

I like your way of thinking

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

So what you are saying is 15 rushing touchdowns for Moss?

UM4G
        Ute Fan
        @um4g

I’m hoping for another 300 yard rushing game in LA, a la Joe Williams.

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

I agree. The run game will be critical to us winning in the Coliseum (not like that is ground breaking news). We need to control the clock, methodically score points, and keep USC’s offense off the field while simultaneously gassing their defense.

popbirch
        Ute Fan
        @popbirch

Yup. Good news is it’s very likely we can execute that. Those things are our strengths. That’s how you beat an “air raid”. We can do all that. Control the clock, score points on long drives, limit turnovers, and keep their def on the field. It’s actually a good match up for us to win.

The scary games are ones against really solid run defenses. Which right now is Washington, asu and cal. Thankfully two of those are st home.

Chidojuan
          Ute Fan
          @chidojuan

Out of those, ASU didn’t look like much, even against a lesser opponent in Sacramento State. We’ll see what Sparty makes of them this week, probably going to be a rough game for them.

Matthew Thomas Castleton
          Ute Fan
          @mcastleton928

Actually, I think Washington’s run defense is significantly worse this year than they were last year. They gave up 192 yards rushing to Cal last night. Remember, their defense lost 9 of 11 starters from last year’s team. Cal ran the ball all night against the Huskies. It’s how they moved the ball downfield on many of their drives. Washington is not even close to as good this season as they were last year. Don’t also forget that they lost four-year starters at both Quarterback and Running Back. 

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football usc rush def