Utah vs. Oregon: Why I’m Confident

Viewing 5 reply threads

UteDuke
      Ute Fan
      @uteduke

My previous post emphasized why I am nervous for this match up. Here is the counterargument. I am hyped for Saturday’s game and believe Utah sets up nicely to get the win. Here are my top reasons to expect a favorable outcome:

1. A dynamic Ute offense the likes of which hasn’t been seen in years. This team is playing with swagger and has talent across the lines and in the skill positions. I don’t believe we’ve seen the best of this unit yet.

2. The best home field advantage in the Pac-12, the Utes will be backed by a raucous crowd ready to explode. This has simply been a different Utah team when playing at home and riding the crowd hype.

3. The possibility of this offense reaching an entirely new level. There are weapons that I believe Ludwig has been saving for just this moment. Utah has relied heavily on its downhill running game. Now I believe we’ll see a multi-dimensional attack that highlights some of our recently lesser used capabilities like the running ability of Cam and Kuithe, our downfield receiving, misdirection with Covey, and a TE onslaught.

3. Our Utes have consistently risen to the moment this season. The bigger the game and the more on the line the better they have played. UCLA and ASU are tough opponents, and Utah handled both.

5. Oregon is not the Oregon of recent years. Anthony Brown is a great runner but is prone to poor decisions. CJ Verdell, who was key in their win at the Horseshoe, is out for the season. They are young like we are.

6. Oregon can’t seem to maintain a lead. Their closest games had them up big in the 3rd, blowing double-digit leads against Stanford and nearly UCLA.

7. When the Utah defense is keyed in they are swarming opponents. The talent is there to compete with anyone. If the D can generate stops consistently the Utes will roll. We just need them to be focused and assignment sound.

richute
      Ute Fan
      @richute

I believe their is a 100% chance that the Utes will win by 35 points this week

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @rickyrules

I share your optimism if our defensive line can hold their own against their O-Line.  That is the key to this game.  i think we can scheme around Thibodeaux and Sewell but their O-Line can be extremely scary. 

mfaulk80
      Ute Fan
      @mfaulk80

Can I offer another positive for Utah that hasn’t been discussed much?  Despite our game last week, we’re very disciplined relative to Oregon in terms of penalities.  Before last week, we were top 5 in the fewest penalties per game. Currently…

Penalties per game:

Utah 4.5 (13th/130) vs Oregon 7.3 (107th/130)

Penalty yards per game:

Utah 42.8 (20th/130) vs Oregon 68.6 (115th/130)

Of course, the timing of the penalites can be the most crucial, but the fewer times we get flagged, the less likely we’re going get hit at a critical time. 

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Except Whitt doesn’t have a very reassuring record when favored…

RUUTES
      Ute Fan
      @ruutes

We aren’t favored…we are the underdog. We must be the underdog. It’s our brand.

I’m going to say it over and over while I think of Whit to make sure my psychic vibes reach him and he convinces the team they are hungry, junkyard beasts that must fight and tear for every ounce or respect. It seems to work when he does that…so lets just not talk about “favored” anymore. We are now and must always be an underdog…and WIN.

GO UTES!

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah vs. Oregon: Why I’m Confident