Utah wins 9+ next year. Here is why:

Viewing 5 reply threads
      10 1

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Utah has more raw talent on defense than they have ever had. 

Utah’s defense, in the P12, traditionally gives up 22-25 points per game. Next year, they will fall in that range. 

Ludwig gets his whole offense back, sans Huntley and Moss BUT adds a QB who threw for 3,000+ yards and 27 TD’s in the SEC. So, we lose Moss. 

We will score 33-35 points per game next year. 

That is a +10 point differential for Utah. Teams with +10 points per game win 9+ games per year. 

6 1

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

While I do agree with you, my biggest concern on offense is the O-line. Huntley is an amazing athlete and he avoided A LOT of sacks just by being allusive. If there would have been a less athletic QB back there, I think we’d be talking about how bad the O-line was.

They should be better next year but the question is, how much better?

3 2

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Huntley held onto the ball a lot longer than most QB’s did. If Rising/Bentley make quicker decisions we will be fine. 

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Utah’s defense does so well because they don’t turn it over and win TOP. That new SEC QB we all are annointing likes to turn it over. He also tends to do it after he made a big play. 

Utah returns a lot on offense I am optimistic in possible improvement though. Specifically if the line can get better. 

I wonder if Punting and kicking will improve. It seemed to not ever change and punting got worst. 

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

Honestly I hope Rising wins the starting QB spot

2 3

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Two rebuttals: Huntley turned it at the same rate as Bentley before Ludwig got there. Bentley or Rising, we will be ok. Huntley held onto the ball longer than any P5 QB this year on his dropbacks. There are things he did really, really well, but there are also a lot of things that can be improved on. 

I don’t care what Utah’s defense did this last year, I’m not expecting the defense to do what they did. I’m expecting Utah’s defense to do what they did with MWC players and less talented players than the ones they have. 

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

Like Doc Brown told Marty “you are not thinking 4th dimensionally”.

For years traditional powers have accepted that the guy replacing the current guy will be better because crutin’.  We have become so used to development as Utah fans because until 10 years ago there was some pretty average crutin’ with some really good finds coupled with development.  Utah is right, the players taking the field in August will be the highest rated collection of players ever.  What gives me more optimism is actually the history of 1 year position changes, our coaches don’t take long getting talented players ready to go.

I am also of the impression that if Bentley isn’t heads and shoulders ahead of Rising you start Rising for the extra year of experience for the 21′, 22′ window.

Distantute
      Ute Fan
      @distantute

This is whole Huntley held onto ball longer seems to be getting traction without any questions being asked. Huntley played under center more than any other qb in the p12. Simply by going under center versus gun and playing a ton of play action he will have the ball longer. This new fangled stat that some of you apparently bought into without any thought whatsoever seems like junk science. Huntley was great this year. More than great. His o line was mediocre to awful. Imagine if he wasnt able to escap all that prrssure. The next qb has enormous shoes to fill and im doubtful they are filled next year.

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

Shhhhhhh, don’t let them know about the more complex route structure and 5 and 7 step drops.  It will be our little secret.
        People who don’t understand “the why” are my favorite message board warriors. Zoobboard is full of them.

1 3

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

So, what condescending response will you have next year when Bentley or Rising have over 25 TD’s and Utah’s offense averages the same amount of points as this year’s offense? 

Hellhound152
            Ute Fan
            @hellhound152

None because they are both talented players, but I also would expect that they will “hold onto the ball” longer than most of the qb’s in America because of the scheme.  I would have to watch the season again but it felt like the only 3 step drops were on 3rd and intermediate and there 1 or 2 wr screens per game instead of per drive. 

3 5

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Look, I’ve been riding Huntley’s jock for four years now. I told you guys he would start over Troy Williams after spring ball. 

And I LOVE what he’s done this year. He did a lot of things we haven’t seen at QB at Utah in a long, long time. 

And I don’t want to point out flaws in his game because that is a s**tty thing to do. 

BUT, too many of our fans have put him on this pedestal he doesn’t belong on. He missed a TON of throws. 

Our QB next year will have 25+ TD’s. They were there this year. They were missed. 

He held onto the ball too long. He missed open recievers. He didn’t see them or checked down for the easier throw. It’s great, we won and it was awesome. BUT, that doesn’t change the fact that the plays were there in Ludwig’s offense and there is opportunity for another QB to come in and make those plays. 

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I felt like the oline was fine in pass protection. Rushing they were wildly inconsistent. 

2 2

Distantute
          Ute Fan
          @distantute

Utahs take on Huntley is … no hyperbole… the worst take ive ever seen or heard. The guy had the highest completion percentage in college (accounting for drops) coupled with a per completion average over 10, meaning he didnt check down. The fact that “utah” is saying he wasnt great based on a stat of ball hold time cant be defended by anyone intelligent and then trying to say he missed a great number of throws is absurd. I cant imagine sitting next to a fan like that. Id punch him in the face.

2 1

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

He can hide behind throws not made. I can say Huntley’s adjusted completion percentage with drops makes him one of the best in college. He already is one of best without it being adjusted. 

So yes it is a horrible take.  The wideouts are still the worst position group that Utah has. As much as we want to roast the oline I still can’t stand any of them. Covey and Kuithe are the best Utah has. 

1 4

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Still no kicking game, no secondary, no Dline, no Oline, no RB, no WR or QB returning that’s proved they’re anything more than average this year.

But good luck on 9+ wins. Maybe the Pac12 will be so bad Utah can fall into the Rose Bowl. God knows they s**t the bed when the stakes are highest.

Losses USC, UW, @Wazzu, @Cal

50/50ish- @UCLA, @ASU, OSU, Brigham, @Wyoming

70/30 or better- Mont St, UA, @Col.

Plus the annual WTF game.. @Wyoming.

User Suspended
        @a2ute

Yea, I think the secondary is going to get torched next year.

Guidry should be good and Phillips will be good by mid season…. But the rest of the backfield looks raw and average.  Big concern with the safety and LB positions.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah wins 9+ next year. Here is why: