Utah’s Offense is Worse Than Expected

Viewing 5 reply threads
      4 3

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

It’s historically bad and, without some innovations and someone coming through out of the ether, could end up being the worst in the FBS given the schedule during the last six games of the season.

Right now, Utah stands as the 126th offense in the FBS. Check it here:

TOTAL OFFENSE

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

Bottom 5 offense, inexcusable.

2 3

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Yeah, and the worst part is that we’re about to start playing the meat of the schedule after Cal. Could be historically bad before it’s all said and done.

SteelUte
      Ute Fan
      @steelute

On a positive note, we play USC soon, so our numbers should shoot up with that defense!

8 3

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Mobile Ute Hub user submitted image

3 2

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

LOL…Monty Python classic…

UTUTE
            Ute Fan
            @utute

Really is great advice from Monty Python. The lyrics are so good!

Go Utes!

1 2

The Miami Ute
              Ute Fan
              @themiamiute

Why would someone downvote this post?

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Yes, our offense is terrible! Injuries have played a big role. But, I highly doubt USC, OU, or UW would be at 125th if they lost their QB. They would not be as good, but 125th – really.

Our coaches made a number of mistakes in judgment and long-term planning. I am not saying we should fire anyone. Every manager or coach makes mistakes. Once upon a time, I managed something bigger than Utah football. Thankfully it was not nearly as public. I think I did a very good job, but I did make mistakes, and was certainly glad that everyone was not posting about it on the internet.

One thing I learned a long time ago is that you have to have contingency plans in case disasters happen. In other words, you needed a plan B, plan C, etc. We were expected to deliver at a high level regardless of the circumstances. I am not trying to compare what I did with what Kyle has to do. It is much different. However, he and other coaches made some mistakes and they need to own them and do everything they can to fix it. Whitt hates to show weakness and he won’t.

How will be bounce back after the debacle last Friday? This will show us a lot. I do not expect to be able to beat USC, UW, or OU as our team is now constituted. However, I expect our offense to be more competitive. Anything less than 300 yards in any game is pathetic!

By the way, I am still happy that Whitt is our coach.

1 4

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Utah is 126th…just saying.

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

So, it’s even worse. 🙁

2 4

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

Yes, there are only four teams in the FBS that have worse offenses.

D T
              Ute Fan
              @azute1

Have a lot of the teams ahead of us played against a similar SOS?

2008 National Champ
                Ute Fan
                @cptmrgn05

Strength of Schedule isn’t a good indicator of why Utah’s offense is so bad, especially this early in the season. It might be better to look at how Utah has done against their opponents v everyone else against the same.

Excluding FCS and Utah: Opponent, Utah yds (Opp allowed yards), Utah pts (Opp allowed pts).

Florida – 270 (332), 24 (16.7)
                Baylor – 377 (471), 20 (38.3)
                UCLA – 219 (302), 14 (11.5)
                OSU – 198 (378), 7 (21.3)

The sample sizes are so small. We’re really only talking about 2 games of data for UCLA and 3 for the others. I’ll show all opponents also but for this, Utah is underwater in yards each game and if you subtract the UCLA pick six, only scores more than average against Florida.

All Games –
                Florida – 270 (275.4), 24 (17.4)
                Baylor – 377 (394.6), 20 (28.4)
                UCLA – 219 (263.5), 14 (11)
                OSU – 198 (299.4), 7 (15.6)

These look better since each opponent gave up very little to their FCS opponent. Might as well compare Utah to each FCS opponent.

Opponent: Utah (FCS)

Florida – 270 (112), 24 (7)
                Baylor – 377 (183), 20 (7)
                UCLA – 219 (232), 14 (7)
                OSU – 198 (166), 7 (7)

With the two QB’s switching off, Utah outperformed an FCS team against similar opponent. After switching to Johnson only, Utah was roughly equivalent to an FCS team the last two games. 22 extra schollies, 10’s of millions more in funding per year, better facilities, higher paid coaches.,, all to perform as an FCS equivalent for 40% of the season.

D T
                  Ute Fan
                  @azute1

Don’t stress yourself….UF/BU/UCLA/OSU are far different than what most of those teams have faced.

But you’re omniscient, right?

2008 National Champ
                    Ute Fan
                    @cptmrgn05

numbers don’t lie, unless you want them to. Should I compare Utah’s offense against Washington State? They’ve played the toughest schedule to date in adjusted opponent win % and are #5 in ppg and #6 in ypg.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Bringing back an elite experienced QB will solve that problem. Next best, complete focus on the current QB options will greatly solve much of that problem. I expect we will upgrade to one of these two solutions coming out of the weekend. If Johnson’s playbook is no complete, we need to make sure there is plenty of TE options in the part he will have. There may be a somewhat similar thing with RBs. We now need to pour a great deal of attention into Curry and double if Jackson is not 100%

2 2

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Charlie, did you see where Cam Rising mentioned today that he’s recovering from the dreaded triad (ACL, MCL, and PCL plus meniscus) knee injury? The normal recovery period for that type of injury is 12-18 months. Hendon Hooker suffered the same injury in November of last year and hasn’t even taken part in football related activities since he was drafted by the Detroit Lions. If I was a betting man, I’d say that, at best, we see Rising in 2024 and that’s only if he petitions for a medical redshirt for this season.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

I agree, Rising’s return is not likely. If it could happen I think it would be our best outcome. Because of that I understand why everyone is hopeful. Something has made Cam interested in practice and coaches consider the possibility. It could all be wishful thinking because it is such a good option. If that is not possible come this week I do expect practice to focus on whoever is deemed QB1 all next week. That was not the case leading up to OSU. Myself, wishful thinking only gives thought to option 1, I expect option 2 and would be disappointed to flirt with splitting reps with a not ready Rising.

MotherJabubu
      Ute Fan
      @motherjabubu

I just want our power running game back. Can we dig up Booker’s corpse

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

I think he might have a year or two of eligibility left.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah’s Offense is Worse Than Expected