BD
      Ute Fan
      @flyfisherman

Good grief .

BD
      Ute Fan
      @flyfisherman

A few funny responses in the comments to the tweet:

Can we PLEASE end the use of the term Cougar/Coug. Its a disgusting term that reinforces patriarchal stigmas against womyn who r attracted to younger men.”

UW needs to stop using Husky because it’s insensitive to young boys who wear husky size jeans.”

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

I’m curious to know where the ‘many’ of the people in the tribes they refer to are complaining about the use of the name? Is this from the one or two people who complained about it a few years ago? The actual tribe continues to endorse the U and will continue to provide the halftime show on occasion.

The official Ute tribes endorse the use of UTES for our team name. This isn’t BS like Florida State, where a tribe in Oklahoma who (*centuries ago) was historically tied to the Seminoles has endorsed the use of the name, whereas the remaining Seminole tribes in Florida do not.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

SJW’s the devolving of Humans before our very eyes. 

Matthew Thomas Castleton
        Ute Fan
        @mcastleton928

And what an incredibly stupid thing for them to say. They know that we have PERMISSION from the Ute Tribe to use their symbols and name right? What a bunch of hypersensitive nincompoops!!

SkinyUte
          Ute Fan
          @skinyute

Not just “permission”, but an active endorsement from the tribe.

I’m all for using more respectful language as we move through the world, and even I think this one is just stupid.

Puget Ute
            Ute Fan
            @pugetute

The difference is we RESPECTFULLY use the symbols and name.  WSU appears to want to prevent students from using the symbols and name in a derogative fashion on signs, posters, chants, etc (a la the zoob chick with the ‘Go back to the Reservation!) sign a few years ago.

Respectful use of the team name should be just fine.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

I am dumber for having read that.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

They should focus on their strengths, like pot smoking. Idiots.

TheNuschler
      Ute Fan
      @thenuschler

“As coaches we failed to make our coaching points and our points more compelling than their fat little girlfriends.” – Mike Leach

Anytime this guy opens his mouth the students must run to the nearest safe space on campus

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

Nah, Mike Leach buys beers for students in the bars.  THey love him as a dude, though they are less impressed with him as a coach.

COFfrom83
      Ute Fan
      @coffrom83

“vikings” is offensive to my scandanavian ancestry, “celtics” to my british ancestry, “fighting scotts” to my scottish ancestry, “trojans” to my…..”wildcats” to my love of old warplanes, “sundevils” is religiously insensitive, etc ad naseum.

I guess they have nothing better to do in the palouse (or however it’s spelled)

hopefully they will eventually grow up, get a life, and become productive members of society – not looking good, though.

WEEN-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @ween-ute

I guess the university of Utah should change the mascot name, marginalize the Utes back to their reservation far away from society and stop sharing their rich history with the country.

funny how these sjw pussies think they know what’s best for the tribe when they know nothing of their heritage and the fact they endorse the U using their name.

This country is turning into a bunch of pussies and this WSU group can go f**k themselves.

WEEN-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @ween-ute

Seriously though, isn’t it ironic they’re speaking for the Ute nation as if the tribe can’t speak for themselves?

GameForAnyFuss
          Ute Fan
          @gameforanyfuss

Nothing worse than people who feel like they owe it to society to speak for a group that can speak just fine for themselves.

It’s actually most offensive to assume that the Ute tribe can’t handle their own affairs. 

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Actually our “mascot” is a red tailed hawk… 🙂

darklightning
      Ute Fan
      @darklightning

I did notice both ESPN and the PAC 12 Network dropped the drum and feather. The “offensive” war feathers will be gone soon enough, I fear. 

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

The U already bans feathers, headdresses, etc, on the request from the Tribes (although Whittingham’s mom sometimes forgets).  

jrj84105
        Ute Fan
        @jrj84105

The feathers suck.  They make our logo tiny in digital media and they tie us to the stupid Swoop mascot.  The circle defines our logo and brand identity more than the feathers.

<- see featherless avatar

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

The second best logo is the UU interlocking also has more tradition than the DnF. The generic U with a circle is ok. 

RUUTES
        Ute Fan
        @ruutes

Get your tattoo now!

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

If the captains saw this perhaps they could give off the ultimate “eff U” to show “the university claims to have permission of the tribe”.  They should wear the original Ute Proud helmets that had the drum and feather on one side and the official seal of the tribe on the other.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

They probably think the Ute tribe seal is racist. 

6 1

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

Liberals. What do you have to say for yourselves? This kind of crap is why Donald Trump won the election and will win a second term.

I’m the libbiest lib that ever libbed. I’ve already said that these Wazzu people are idiots. But in case that wasn’t a strong enough answer, I’ll add that I find their response to be ridiculous, and think they should justifiably be mocked for it. That said, I don’t claim to speak for all liberals.

I will add that, in my experience, those who scream the loudest about “political correctness ruining the country” are generally just upset that they are no longer allowed to be a**holes to people and treat them like garbage without society calling them out on it. YMMV

RUUTES
      Ute Fan
      @ruutes

This isn’t a liberal position.  This is a hyper and extremist position.  Hyper PC idiocy on the wildly far left is about like neo-Nazi bs on the far right.  80% of normal people in the middle think they are all idiots even if we disagree about education funding, healthcare, or tax rates.  I’m proud of my liberal bonafides and those SJW idiots can shove it up their tunnel vision asses.  That is all.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

People are still assholes though. This liberal SJW crap of taking on causes that no one gives a s**t about is just virtue signalling. 

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

In this instance, I absolutely agree with you. However, I don’t agree that any time someone stands up for minority populations that are traditionally met with disrespectful behavior, it counts as “virtue signalling”.

That’s a political discussion for another time and place though, so I’ll just leave it at that. Cheers.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Wash St. student group urges fans to not refer to Utah as “Utes”