What about the scrimmage?

Viewing 2 reply threads

bopahull
      Ute Fan
      @bopahull

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

So, I am confused about the QB2 battle.  We have heard from some reliable posters that the race is between JJ and Johnson.  However, the article above says:

“Bryson and JJ are working very hard,” Ludwig said. “We’re looking for clarity at that spot in the next couple of days.” 

Whittingham said a decision on the backup quarterback will likely be made this weekend. 

“They both had outstanding scrimmages,” Whittingham said. “Those are the two guys that are competing for the No. 2 (spot). We’ll have an answer after the next scrimmage on Saturday exactly how we’ll approach it.”

So, is this just coach speak?  

Dallas
        Ute Fan
        @dallas

Pretty funny that Barnes isn’t even on scholarship.

2 2

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

I’m not sure. This is a very good question.

pedro
        Ute Fan
        @pedro

My suspicion is that they want to RS Johnson if they can.  Give him a full 4 years after this one to run the show

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

I am sure they plan on redshirting Johnson.  However, that would not prevent him from being QB3.  He can still play 4 games and redshirt.

Also, if Johnson becomes what some expect – he will not stay here 4 years.  But, I think they want him to spend this year learning so he can compete for the job next season.

UTEopia
      Ute Fan
      @uteopia

I attended the scrimmage. Johnson did not get any reps with the 1’s or 2’s. They were evenly divided between JJ and Barnes. In a video of yesterdays practice, Johnson was wearing a scout team jersey. Johnson will be better off running the scout team against the 1 and 2 defense than he will as QB3, who gets no reps. Barnes and JJ were pretty equal in my observations of their play. I think Barnes is now on scholarship.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football What about the scrimmage?