What if the Utes didn’t stub their toe against the Trojans?

Viewing 3 reply threads
      1 4

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I know the point is moot because we lost, but had we won and were now 10-0 – what would our CFP ranking be?

I think we would be 4th and possibly 3rd over Clemson.

Crazyforu
      Ute Fan
      @crazyforu

Yep, 3rd or 4th. 

Its an intersting take, I think the USC loss was exactly what this team needed though. I realize I am not the only one that has this thought, I think it gave this team a sense of urgency for the rest of the season though. Guys like Anae, Leki, and Zack, they came back to do something special, not finish middle of the pack in their own division.

I think if they don’t lose that USC game, they pick up a loss, or maybe two down the road. I could be wrong, I think the scars from the loss were one hell of a teachable moment for the rest of the year though. Not to mention, the USC or Washington were the best games to “lose” on your schedule. Also, the USC loss is completely explainable (especially with Moss getting dinged), and it was early in the season, leaves plenty of time to earn their ranking back. Just my .02

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Valid points.  It may very well have made a positive difference.

Bytheway, I am not crying over spilled milk.  The loss happened – oh well, I am happy with what this team has done since.

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

Utah’s “sense of urgency” wouldn’t be so much of a problem if we’d stop scheduling weak SOS non-conference slates.  It’s always the same — every year — Utah thumps a bunch of teams that had no business on the field at RES in the first place, starts thinking they’re invincible, then gets shocked by a conference opponent we thought we’d walk all over.

I’m not suggesting we schedule 3 P5 opponents in the preseason.  But I AM suggesting we schedule no less than 1.  And I’m also suggesting that we schedule no more than ZERO teams from the FCS.  There are plenty of worthwhile warm-up games at the FBS level, who also happen to play in areas we recruit.  Such as Haw, SJSU, UNLV, Colo St, UTEP, UTSA, Rice, La Tech, Southern Miss, UAB, USF, FAU, FIU, Ga St, Ga Southern, and ODU.  Even UConn and UMass, who despite sitting in a region we don’t recruit, still come from large metropolitan areas, that could draw a television audience, and perhaps entice future recruits — which could ultimately serve to enhance our recruiting footprint.

McBride of Frankenstein
      Ute Fan
      @mcbrideoffrankenstein

such is life.  no benefit in looking back.  I might even submit that it helped them be much stronger in the weeks afterward.

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

3rd.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football What if the Utes didn’t stub their toe against the Trojans?