when was the last time we got new unis?

Viewing 9 reply threads

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

am i crazy or has it been a while? Thought we used to cycle them every 4ish years?

9 1

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

We have so many combos these days that it’s hard to say what our base unis even are.

But to answer your question I think the ones before these had the mountain sleeves, and IIRC it’s been around 2 years since we changed. I could totally be wrong about all of this though.

Ute2
        Ute Fan
        @ute2

Call me crazy, I loved the mountains. Even though they were hokie. The just really vibed for some reason for me

NarfUte
          Ute Fan
          @narfute

I really liked the mountains on the team jerseys. They looked like dog vomit on the jerseys they sold to fans.

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

Last year, before every game. 🤪

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

Very true. It’s not a uniform if it is different every time.

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

Yeah… The whole purpose of a uniform is for everyone wearing it to be instantly identifiable as belonging to a certain group. Not sure our Uniforms accomplish that purpose.

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

It’s a three year cycle. And the last time 3 years was up(can’t remember when that was) they basically re-upped with some minor changes to the stripes on the pants.

I think the idea is we want to settle on a uni that doesn’t change ala some of those blue bloods with more iconic unis…

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

I’ve posted about this before too. The new jerseys for each game used to be cool – but now it feels like we’re having an identity crisis. I’m ready for a full refresh with a simplified scheme that we stick to for a long while and tone back the one-off themes. Maybe I’m just getting old…

RoboUte
      Ute Fan
      @hamplate

The pants have changed a little but we’ve had the same tops since 2017 when we left the mountain design. Unis are pretty stale at this point but we do have nice one-offs. I like the current design much less than the mountains.

Ute2
        Ute Fan
        @ute2

I don’t ask for that much. I just want Davontae Booker running around with a craggy rock looking pattern strangling his biceps.

RoboUte
          Ute Fan
          @hamplate

“I just want Davontae Booker running around with a craggy rock looking pattern strangling his biceps.” Ya and watch how they glisten with sweat? Veiny and triumphant.You need to cool off there, Ute2?

6 3

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

There are a couple of issues IMO with our uniforms and it starts with UnderArmor.

UA makes one top 10 CFB uniform (ND) and that one is hard to screw up. We would be better off with another partner.

The other issue is we have no identifiable uniform combination. A non-Utah fan can’t turn to a Utah game and readily recognize us. This is due to all the combination swapping that we do. When I’ve made this argument in the past it’s retorted with it’s a player perk (they choose). Fine, but is this more important than brand building?

Choose a standard uniform and combination, stop swapping and use alternates sparingly. And while we’re at it, decide on a primary logo. It will only help our brand nationally.

RoboUte
        Ute Fan
        @hamplate

I tend to find that third party spectators like our uniform shenanigans. I don’t think there’s any point in us playing at being a ‘Bama, Oklahoma, or Notre Dame with old school very recognizable very static Unis. We aren’t and never will be that type of program and the philosphy we have of showing off a little bit of style, if it brings recruits, which we know it does, can only help us.

I’ll admit to being excited about our one-off unis though. Not all of them land but some are great. The all white rose bowl look was cash f**king money.

But I do agree about the primary logo, if it’s interlocking Us then make it the dang interlocking Us and quit waffling. I’m fine either way, just decide. Taht said it’s very clear we’re going away from the drum and feather and block U.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I used to agree with this a lot. I very much thought Utah needs to push the drum and feather. Then you can look at Oregon. Clearly it works just fine for them. 
        Oregon does something better though. They win. Utah needs to continue to win. Win a Heisman or at the very least get a Heisman in there. Brand recognition is winning. 
        Which is why I propose Utah changes to those Battle ship unis full time. (joking)

Yergensen
          Ute Fan
          @yergensen

Great marketing has won market share for many inferior products. It’s not just about the product itself. Oregon’s slightly better win rate (than us) aside, their brand is driven largely by the Nike marketing machine. They either invented or perfected the uniform portfolio which appears to be more about completely new ensemble designs than it is about combination changes or swapping out pants. They have arguably the most popular and recognizable mascot in college sports, essentially a long beloved Disney character used thru a special licensing agreement. They consistently use the same logo, I don’t know that it’s iconic yet, but it’s a good one. If you asked 10 people in the room to draw the Oregon logo you would get the same result from all 10 people. Point is Oregon is literally only a few wins better than Utah over past decades, but way ahead in marketing their brand.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Unique and recognizable uniforms would be nice but I agree, we have only a fraction of the history as a national program as do the big names. We could focus on branding as the primary objective. However, I believe currently we involve the players a great deal with the directions taken and always with the choice of options game to game. I think player satisfaction and heavy involvement if fine with me since they have zero input in how I show up to games. With that in mind, realize that players 18 to 22 have a small window of familiarity with uniform history and have preferences that can run different than my own. Its also an important recruiting item for HS athletes. I am happy to ask what they prefer.

stubbornute
      Ute Fan
      @stubbornute

We have had so many combos since being in the Pac12.

stubbornute
        Ute Fan
        @stubbornute

Yeah we are good on the unicombos. We have had so many variations since being in the PAC12. We should go more simple and not be Oregon

Univeristy of Utah Utes Uniform Comparison PAC 12 Era

Game Type Combo Type Wins Losses Win %
        Bowl Red Red Red 2 1 66.67%
        Bowl White White Red 1 0 100.00%
        Bowl White Red White 1 0 100.00%
        Bowl White Red Red 0 1 0.00%
        Bowl Black White Red 0 1 0.00%
        Bowl White White White 0 1 0.00%
          Overall  Total In Bowl Games 4 4 50.00%

Championship Black Black White 1 0 100.00%
        Championship Red White Red 1 1 50.00%
        Championship White White White 0 1 0.00%
          Overall  Total In Championship 2 2 50.00%

Regular Season White White Black 2 0 100.00%
        Regular Season Red Black Red 2 0 100.00%
        Regular Season Silver Red Silver 2 0 100.00%
        Regular Season Black Black Red 1 0 100.00%
        Regular Season Silver Silver Silver 1 0 100.00%
        Regular Season Red Red Red 18 3 85.71%
        Regular Season Red Red White 3 1 75.00%
        Regular Season White Red Red 5 2 71.43%
        Regular Season Red White Red 9 4 69.23%
        Regular Season Black Black Black 8 4 66.67%
        Regular Season Red Black Black 2 1 66.67%
        Regular Season Red Red Black 2 1 66.67%
        Regular Season Red White White 2 1 66.67%
        Regular Season White White White 8 5 61.54%
        Regular Season White Black White 2 2 50.00%
        Regular Season White Red Black 1 1 50.00%
        Regular Season White Red White 9 11 45.00%
        Regular Season Black White Black 3 4 42.86%
        Regular Season Black White White 1 3 25.00%
        Regular Season White White Red 1 7 12.50%
        Regular Season Black Red Red 0 2 0.00%
          Overall Total In Regular Season 82 52 61.19%

Overall Total In PAC 12 History 94 64 59.49%
      1 1

RedRocks
      Ute Fan
      @hypodactylus

I think the uniforms are pretty good overall, but I absolutely hate the horrible rounded font used on some of the uniforms. Stick to the blocky font please…

Mule
        Ute Fan
        @mule

Didn’t like the mountains look. Not saying that it couldn’t be good, but the way they designed it felt very “Mountain West Conference” ish. You know like that amazing 3D MWC block logo. But to each his own.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football when was the last time we got new unis?