When will the Utes be blessed with a 5 star?

Viewing 10 reply threads

Dresden_Stormblessed
      Ute Fan
      @dresden

Any guesses when we get our first 5 star recruit? My guess is we get one before Whitt retires.

For some reason, I don’t think 5 star transfers count. You may not share that opinion, and that’s fine.

I’ve heard really good things about Lander and would be psyched to see him up on the hill like his brothers. Not sure if he makes 5 star status though.

Or should I just pump the brakes on my hopes for any 5 star recruit? We tend to find 3 and 4 star players that become truly special. Maybe we stick with that mentality? Ninja-in-the-shadows recruiting.

Thoughts? Comments? Derogatory remarks?

FountainofUte
      Ute Fan
      @fountainofute

When he grows up a crazy hard-core Ute fan and the worldwide communication grid is down so that he’s unaware of any programs outside of the Beehive state. So in other words “we” need to create him and then start the apocalypse. Get busy, folks!

Kidding aside, I expect no 5 stars unless it’s a freak circumstance. It really would have to be a “Lander” situation where his family is Ute to the core.

In the meantime, I think we have much room to grow for bringing in more 4-stars than we do. We do well all things considered, but there’s a big gap between us and what the USCs, Washingtons and Oregons do on a regular basis.

UtahUtesRock
        Ute Fan
        @utahutesrock

Jaylon Johnson wasn’t a five star kid?

UtahUtesRock
          Ute Fan
          @utahutesrock

Nope never mind he was a 4 star kid. Hmm I thought we’d had at least one already. Strange. 

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

Phillips is as close as Whit has gotten. On 247, you need to above .983. Phillips was .9744 and #51 in the composite. Other sites that have more 5 stars might have listed him. I think Rivals goes to around top 50?

uteinzoobcounty
      Ute Fan
      @uteinzoobcounty

My 6 year old said he would go to Utah, maybe he’ll be a 5⭐ lol. Give Utah another 5 years of consistency and they should be able to. 

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

I think there’s only something like 25 five-star athletes in each recruiting year.  If Alabama gets 20 of those, that only leaves about 5 for the rest of the nation to share.  Slim odds.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

There’s a lot of truth to this, and it’s only getting worse. There are about 5-8 programs where 5* recruits even consider going anymore. Bama, Oh. State, Clemson, LSU, Notre Dame, Florida, Georgia, USC.. maybe FSU. Am I missing one? Those just seem like it.

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

Oklahoma and Texas?

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

Oregon pulled a 5 star out of Utah last year and will do so again in 2021 if Suamataia gets a slight bump in the final ratings.

KoolWhitt
          Ute Fan
          @koolwhitt

I’d add Michigan, Texas, and Oklahoma as schools that regularly pull 5 star guys. There’s always going to be some outliers but your list plus these three I think is the core list.

As for this year, there were 34 five star recruits. 20 of them went to the same four schools (Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia). Barf.

USC got the #1 overall recruit this year. Double barf. At least that’s the only 5-star they got.

Waybackutefan
      Ute Fan
      @waybackutefan

Utahs meat and potatoes are high 3 stars, better to have 10 of these each class the 1 5 star kid unless its Trevor Lawrence. 

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Sounds like the old George Carlin joke: “I never had sex with a ten, but one night I had sex with five two’s.”

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

Great post Dresdon. I share your sentiment and want to believe it will happen before Whit retires. Most likely would have to be a home grown kid IMO. Noah Sewell seems like the 1st real shot we had at a 5* kid. And I think if we had brought in Penei, we likely would’ve already accomplished this recruiting milestone. I do think it’s even harder for a Utah kid to get the 5* rating given there are only 30 in the whole country. If Penei and Kingsley Sumataia aren’t 5* then it’s hard to believe we’ll see one for awhile IMO. And I agree that, for me, it doesn’t count the same if it’s a transfer….still awesome and I’d take that type of talent all day long. But I’d like to see the victory of beating out every school in the country for one of these 30 kids.

bopahull
        Ute Fan
        @bopahull

Does a player lose potential because he transfers? If not, a 5 star transfer is still a 5 star athlete IMO.

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

I would also say that, for me, I’d like to see us sign 8 4* recruits in a class as a “next” recruiting milestone. We’ve been doing great bringing in 3 or 4 in a class. But I think the next level would be double that amount. And honestly, if we could consistently do that, I’d be ok if we missed on the 5*.

Dresden_Stormblessed
        Ute Fan
        @dresden

I also see the next leap to be consistent high single digits or double digit four star recruits.

I read an article once about NBA draft picks and how statistically, it ALWAYS makes sense to trade the first round picks for second or third rounds picks. I wonder if it’s the same for 5 star and 4 star recruits.

Every elite program in college football has a handle of 5 star talents, the vast majority being four star, and then maybe a few three star talents. We are and have always been three star heavy. The trajectory is obviously in the right direction, I’m just curious how long it will be, and how much we have to prove, before high school kids get the memo that the Utah football program is family and has a bright, bright future.

Stone
          Ute Fan
          @stone

I think the draft strategy works because then you get two great players instead of one, allegedly, excellent player. Draft picks are often a crap shoot anyway, so unless you have a really high pick, you might as well increase your odds with more players or trade down for some other incentive (cash or salary cap space).

But in recruiting, you are not necessarily posed with the dillemma of either signing two 4* players or one 5*. You can try to sign the 5* and both of the 4* kids.  

enigami344
      Ute Fan
      @enigami344

I think Garett Bolles was a 5 star?

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Bolles was 4* and a Juco transfer.

Dresden_Stormblessed
        Ute Fan
        @dresden

Garret was a high four star. It’s a little surprising that we still haven’t gotten one, truth be told. I love me some high four stars, I’ll take them ALL DAY. I’m just really excited to see that fifth star for whatever reason.

1 1

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

Speaking of 5* talent…anyone know anything about Palaie Gaoteote IV? He’s a 5* LB at USC that entered the portal in December. Would love to take one of their talented dudes away given the number of ours they’ve taken over the years. I’ve not heard about this kid but even though he’s a 5*, I think I’d still take Henry To’o To’o if I had the choice between the two. But either would be amazing gets.

BD
      Ute Fan
      @flyfisherman

Rivals had James Aiono as a 5 star, but he was a JC transfer.

I would think that Utah would land a 5 star someday – maybe within the next 5 to 7 years? I mean, BYU landed two of them in Ben Olson and Ofa Mohatau, according to 247. But both transferred out of BYU. But if they can do it, why can’t Utah? Although that was awhile ago, and maybe I’m wrong, but it seems college football is even more top-heavy today than then, with 5 stars going to only a few schools.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

When Utah stops losing the final two games of the season, and wins not🌹, but 🌹 🌹.

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute
Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football When will the Utes be blessed with a 5 star?