Where do you rank Huntley?

Viewing 6 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Where would you rank Huntley compared to all forme Utah QBs?

For me it is:

1. Alex Smith

2. Scott Mitchell

3. Tyler Huntley

4. Brian Johnson

5. Mike McCoy

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Yeah, I would say anywhere in the 3-4 range. I think he is certainly better than Brian Johnson. I didn’t really ever see McCoy play so I can’t say how good he was. I also never saw Mitchell play, but I now how great he was, so I wouldn’t put Huntley ahead of him. Alex obviously is #1 or #2 with Mitchell as the other.

I think Huntley would have been a legitimate Heisman contender in the MWC. No way this team loses a game with the 04 or 08 schedules, and Huntley is more dynamic than either Alex or Brian were. He would definitely be in the conversation for best UofU QB all time had his UofU teams been in the MWC.

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

I will always contend that no true comparison can be made with players pre 2011 and post 2011.  For all we know Travis Wilson would have been an all world MWC qb.  It is apples and oranges.

Great1Ute
          Ute Fan
          @tribute

Yup.  Exactly right.  I think back to how Travis dominated MWC champion Colorado State in the Vegas game a few years back.  Had Travis played Utah’s MWC schedule from 2006 to 2010, I think he would own a large portion of the all time passing and rushing records for a QB at Utah.  

PhiladelphiaUte
            Ute Fan
            @philadelphiaute

Wilson had all the talent and intangibles to be a Top-5 QB, but he never reached his potential because he got stuck with Aaron Roderick as his position coach.  Give him Troy Taylor or Andy Ludwig, and he’s the next Brock Osweiler.

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

Just a side comment that if you’re being realistic, Scott Mitchell is by far the best QB at Utah and he didn’t need the spread offense to have a top offense in the country.

Alex Smith never threw for >3,000 yards in a season, while Scott Mitchell had a season where he threw for 4,300 yards. The only place Alex really gets the better is on efficiency, specifically, lack of to’s.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Alex Smith also played in an RPO offense. His overall athleticism was much better than Mitchell’s and he ran the ball more. Mitchell played in a throw first offense. It’s the way the WAC was back then to try to keep up with BYU. Smith was better at running, throwing on the run, decision making and his overall football IQ was higher. More goes in to saying who the better QB was than who simply had more passing yards in a season.

PhiladelphiaUte
            Ute Fan
            @philadelphiaute

I have to agree with Central Coast Ute.  Mitchell threw for more yardage because he was playing for Fassell.  Meyer-coached teams didn’t call for the ball to be aired out as much.  But put Smith on a Fassell-coached team, and he throws for more yards.  Put Mitchell on a Meyer-coached team, and he throws for less.

Both guys have an argument for #1, but I give the slight edge to Smith due to Smith’s Football IQ.

gothamute
          Ute Fan
          @gothamute

I have to agree with Hammer on this one. Based on total body of work, I think Mitchell is the clear all time #1 and Alex the clear #2. I think you can make a strong case for any order of BJ, McCoy, and Travis for #3-5, but depending on what happens the rest of this year, Tyler could supplant all of those guys. I don’t think even an 11-1 finish, P12 championship and Rose Bowl victory give him the nod over Alex… but as I typed all those things out I started to re-think that… would be a pretty amazing finish to an already really solid run as QB. If he/the team pull those off maybe he should end up considered #2 all time…

If this list were about the most underappreciated Ute QBs of all time, I think Jon Hays is the clear #1 and Travis probably #2… Hays was put into an impossible situation and actually kept us from being embarrassing… and the Baby Giraffe statistically did quite a lot with what could be argued was at times only a little… both guys got little love from the fans a lot of the time (all of the time in the case of Hays), but you gotta respect how hard they both competed in less than ideal circumstances…

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

It really remains to be seen doesn’t it?

5 2

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Travis Wilson belongs in the top five. Guy could have been great sans the horrible wideouts and play calling he was burdened with. Huntley could land as far as two depending on his finish. 

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

I agree. Travis was a gamer. He led us ti a 10-2 Pac-12 record a few years ago. That’s notable.

Richie_Rich
          Ute Fan
          @teampendarvis

Pardon my doubts, but when did we have a 10-2 record?

salty-ute
            Ute Fan
            @salty-ute

He must be thinking of 2015, 10-3 after the bowl game.

Richie_Rich
              Ute Fan
              @teampendarvis

True.  Best record we have ever had in conference was 6-3.  That was that year.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Based on the level of competition he’s playing against I’d say right up there around the top.

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

ProudUte:

That’s pretty much the way I would have put it, but I would have put Johnson and McCoy tied for 4th.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

If Huntley leads this team to the Rose bowl and wins he is the GOAT for Utah. 

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Where do you rank Huntley?