Who on here attended a game at the Einar Neilsen Fieldhouse?

Viewing 6 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I remember watching Jerry Chambers and team play in the 1965/1966 season. (They went to the final four.) I thought it was so fun to attend games there.  Then in 1969, we opened the Special Events Center.  It was one of the best arenas in the country.  It is still a great place to watch basketball 53 years later.

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

when I was 7 or 8, my dad took me to see the Utes w/ Billy the Hill play OSU with Havlicheck and Larry Siegfried. They were ranked in the top 5 both.Saw lots of games after that.

UTEopia
      Ute Fan
      @uteopia

I saw a couple games there. A neighbor was the scorekeeper and we went up to practice a few times and I was able to get some autographs. My Ute Conference team actually practiced on the dirt in Einer Nielsen before a Thanksgiving Day game.

uteof
      Ute Fan
      @uteof

My spelling stinks today, so there are errors here. I only go back to the time when Vadal Petersen was the coach and Arnie Feron, Vern Gardner, Wat Misaka, Fred Weidner, Leon Watson played. I was the same year at the U as Billy McGill and watched him in each of his home games. I even climbed onto the roof from the inside and watched a football game from the crest. Yup, I’ve seen a game or two.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Very nice.  You are older than me.

Classic Ute
      Ute Fan
      @classicute

My first game was when Billy McGill was a freshman.  The freshman team played before the varsity since they were not eligible to play varsity.  I saw a number of games, one of which was Billy’s last game as a Ute.  We sat on the steps, up in the corner of a soldout fieldhouse.  Wyoming held Billy to 50 points.  Many great memories in that fieldhouse.

Brent
      Ute Fan
      @utahby5

My father also took me to see Billy The Hill McGill at the old field house. In addition, during my senior year at Ogden High School, the state high school basketball tournament was held there. I played two games there.

Staples
      Ute Fan
      @staples

Always thought it would be cool to hold one throwback game a year in the Fieldhouse even though it’s an impossibility given that the Fieldhouse is no longer capable in any way of hosting a basketball game.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Love hearing these stories. I wish the Fieldhouse wasn’t located directly behind the NEZ. Because although I don’t have any sentimentality towards the Fieldhouse, I realize there are many that do. And it’s occupying prime real estate that could be used for enhancing (not expanding, just to be clear) the NEZ at some point. I’d love to see the U build over the top of TRAX and install a roof top terrace there with another similar sized video board. It’s not going to happen given people’s feelings about the Fieldhouse but anything to make RES the best venue it can possibly be, I’m all for.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Who on here attended a game at the Einar Neilsen Fieldhouse?