Why not play the pig farmer if we need the throw game?

Viewing 11 reply threads

HoosierUte
      Ute Fan
      @hoosierute

Everything that i see says that we need to throw to beat the bears. Why not put the pig farmer back out there? Seems like nobody is even considering giving Barnes another shot.

3 1

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I am failing to see the “everything” you say you see.

Oline is below average grading out. They are not particularly good at anything and it isn’t one guy consistently being bad.

TE the blocking has been so bad. Like really bad.

RB no JJ or Bernard to help here. JJ does more despite being injured from the fall camp. Glover has times where he shines. In the fourth mostly. Curry is not game shape(see TT last season).

WR have Rising throwing to them during the week and are expected to block most downs on gameday.

The offense has a lot of problems. Rising is the only solution that I see fixing it. Unless he really isn’t healthy. Which his return is an expectation that has been arbitrarily chosen by fans and then hyped by the coaching staff.

Even Whitt said the solution is Rising on Monday.

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

What/where is your source that the O-Line is grading below average. I would genuinely like to see that information.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

PFF.com
          Kump is 60.1
          62.9 PBLK and 59.6 RBLK
          Bills is 60.1
          48.4 PBLK and 63.9 RBLK
          Mokofisi is 57.7
          58.2 PBLK and 57.6 RBLK
          Laumea is 69.8
          68.1 PBLK and 71.2 RBLK
          Fano is 58.0
          60.4 PBLK and 57.5 RBLK

Average to below average scores. But they have played really good defenses in comparison to Oregon states teams.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

Yeah Eagle, would you believe that UCLA’s defense is actually ranked higher than Utah’s? I ran a check today and UCLA is #8 in the nation and Utah is #9. UCLA is only allowing 3.75 yards per play. Without that pick six last Saturday, I’m guessing that there was a good chance that Utah would have won that game 7-0. When was the last time you saw a score like that in college football?

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

I have been appreciating that game more and more. So funny to send Kelly out like that. 9 rushing yards. Just an embarrassment.
              Ucla also haven’t really played anyone. Oregon state at least has Wazzu.

Xanthis
            Ute Fan
            @xanthis

Will be interesting to see if the O-Line gets better as the season goes on. It seems like they always come together towards the end of the season.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Cause the pig farmer can’t throw.

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

I would argue differently and say he can throw, but his decision-making is just so slow that the open guy is not open by the time he’s ready to make the throw.

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

BB’s not the solution.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Because Johnson proved to be the better thrower and runner in the Baylor game.

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

You mean that throw game from first 3 quarters of Baylor?

2 10

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

I haven’t seen anything from last week or against an overmatched Weber that suggests that Barnes is worse than Johnson. Those were two defenses primed to for success in the passing game and Johnson barely completed 60% of his passes.

The Baylor drive has been so overhyped it’s almost criminal. Baylor was trying to protect a one score lead in the 4th quarter and played off allowing the underneath routes in the center of the field. I’m glad Johnson made the most of it but let’s please stop pretending it was predictive of future performance.

Italy88
          Ute Fan
          @itacoatiara22

Sometimes I wonder if you watch the same games as the rest of us…

1 6

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

It’s obvious that some of us do.

Go back to the comments after the Florida game when Mertz was racking up yards in the second half. Almost to a poster, the consensus was that didn’t matter because Utah had the lead and was only concerned with not giving up the big play.

Funny how when Utah comes back it is because of their out-of-this-world ability but when others teams do the same it is because of some strategy that only Utah is capable of employing.

bopahull
              Ute Fan
              @bopahull

The biggest difference between those 2 examples is Florida racked up the yardage but failed in their comeback. The Utes on the other hand racked up the yardage but were successful in their comeback.
              What better strategy is there than that?

2008 National Champ
                Ute Fan
                @cptmrgn05

Prevent Defense = Prevent Defense. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

The same people who are applauding Johnson’s play on that drive are the ones who carp when Utah plays Prevent with a lead. Heck, Utah did it on the UCLA’s scoring drive and then the first 3 plays of their last drive. Put 7 or 8 in coverage, hope you can get home with just your D Line, and keep everything in front of you. It’s not like I’m suggesting something that hasn’t been going on since the invention of the forward pass.

bopahull
                  Ute Fan
                  @bopahull

Sorry, just attempting a little sarcasm.

22Ute22
          Ute Fan
          @utedagoat

How was Johnson primed for success? We were extremely conservative during Weber State. Against UCLA, our O-line played bad, UCLA has a great D-line with 2 amazing edge rushers, and he only had 50% of the QB1 reps. But go off on how he was primed for success.

fosternano
      Ute Fan
      @fosternano

He was 6/19 for 71 yards in 3 quarters of play against Baylor. The same Baylor team that let Texas state put up 300 passing yards on them and 42 points.

NJ has a lot more upside with his athleticism, the play calling and execution just needs to be there.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Are you suggesting that Nate be compared to Quin Ewers, a 5* who has been their QB1 since spring camp?

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Good grief, was anyone happy on Christmas as a kid? With all the penciled in changes to the depth chart we are 4 and 0, and have good prospects of folks rolling back in. I think I will sit back and enjoy winning games until we are not winning games. When that point arrives we will finally have information to discuss.

2 1

22Ute22
      Ute Fan
      @utedagoat

Barnes is no good. NJ has more zip on his slants, is faster and more elusive, and Barnes doesn’t keep his eyes downfield. When he faces the slightest bit of pressure, he just tucks the ball and tries to run. NJ is sorta doing the opposite though. There are times when NJ should just tuck the ball and run full speed, but he is keeping his eyes downfield. Maybe he doesn’t want to seem like Barnes lol.

J Rocksville
      Ute Fan
      @jrocksville

I’m not a football expert, but my eyeballs saw Bryson Barnes reading things a half second late and throwing, and NJ reading things on time but throwing the ball a bit behind everyone. They both miss open receivers with their tunnel vision.

I don’t know which is better, but if the qb run keeps the line more honest then you’d think that would open up more/easier options downfield.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

The reason is that we have a better chance of winning with NJ.

Distantute
      Ute Fan
      @distantute

Because he cant throw?

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Why not play the pig farmer if we need the throw game?