Wonder If Ill get Flamed for This

Viewing 5 reply threads

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

I have been very impressed with CS…. I have never been so excited for a coach since Majerus. You can tell by his offenseive schemes. defensive schemes, out of bounce plays, the dude just gets it…. He just doesnt have the horses. Think of what he could have done with LK talent… The guys we lost, Jones, Larson, Jargen, Timmy Allen, the kid that went to Illni (Forgot his name) the shooter, Martinez….

So far he hasnt hit on recruting othere than Chandler mysteriously switched to BYU over night…. Take that fow what it’s worth. I believe the recruits will come.. I think we finish strong, bring back the core, add some guys, make a little noise next year and then the machine will be back and rolling. In college ball the right coach makes all the difference. 

Staples
      Ute Fan
      @staples

He has to prove himself with recruiting and the transfer portal (missing out on Chandler definitely hurt) but I agree that there is some reason for optimism in a bad year. The team hasn’t quit on him and they battle to the end just haven’t gotten over the hump in the close games.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

Quite the contrary.  I’m guessing most Utah fans are right in line with these thoughts.  I’m a spoiled rotten relic from the Majerus era, so I just check in occasionally to see how we’re doing and leave it at that.  We have to give Coach Smith some time and some room to build this program back.  He’s basically throwing a Mountain West calibre team out there right now, so I’m not sure what everyone was expecting?  Personally, I love Smith’s enthusiasm and I think he knows his x’s and o’s.  The jury is still out on his recruiting prowess but it’s not like he’s had that much time to work on it.  I’m still trying to decide whether my lack of enthusiasm is because of our current state of suckitude or if it’s just that I don’t really care about college basketball anymore.  We’ll see.

Stone
        Ute Fan
        @stone

Basketball was, for many years, my favorite sport. I loved Utah Utes and Utah Jazz hoops. Could hardly get enough of it. Now I barely pay attention to either. Not sure why. The Jazz are actually good, so I am guessing it is not totally related to the product. I think the Giac, Boylen, LK years have drained me. I also used to closely follow MLB and NFL. But Utah football is pretty much the only sport I closely follow at this point (but I do follow it closely). 

UteBacker
          Ute Fan
          @utebacker

I honestly think that I put so much time, energy, and money into the football program that I literally have nothing left for any other sports.  With recruiting, spring practices, the transfer portal, and fall practices, it has pretty much turned college football into a year-round activity.  I feel guilty for not supporting the basketball program better, but I guess I don’t really support any other program either.  My bad.

In my worthless opinion, the NBA sucks and has for years.  

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I agree. Smith has clearly done more with much less. The team in a massive losing streak has better chemistry then recent teams in good runs. They play better defense than teams since Rick was here. The offense bogs down less than has been the case for years. I can see the plays they are trying to run. As he gains equal talent to the other Pac schools, he will be right there with anyone. He has been able to recruit in the past, we just need to see him recruit at this level. As I listen to other Pac coaches I can sense that they all respect him a great deal. Oddly, I have enjoyed watching them even though it has been hard to get a win. He did everything right with Chandler, he just needs to be able to repeat it several more times.

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

You sound like somebody that goes beyond the headline and reads the article! I’d say you’re on point!

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

Smith deserves at least 3 years to show progress. LK’s first season was a total rebuild also. Smith needs to get his players in the system and develop a culture that had been lost. I believe he was a good hire.

Johnny
        Ute Fan
        @johnny

Agreed. He’s a good coach. He just better damn well luck out better than Majerus. The fat man ate my fries and he said to me I could tell my friends he ate my fries FFS. RIP

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Wonder If Ill get Flamed for This