WSJ Grid of Shame

Viewing 4 reply threads

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

Interesting article. Nice to see the Drum and Feather in the top right quadrant.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-footballs-2019-grid-of-shame-11567091249

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Pay wall.

highlandute7
        Ute Fan
        @highlandute7

Weird. I don’t have a subscription and when I pull it up I see the whole story. Here is another story about it.

https://thespun.com/college-football/the-wsj-published-a-college-football-grid-of-shame

I have a screenshot of it but not sure how to add it here. Utah is Top/Right. The higher you are , the more admirale your program is seen. The farther right you are, the more os a powerhouse your program is viewed.

You can search Google as well for an image of the grid. Sorry for the mixup as I didn’t think this was a pay wall article since it came up for me.

Here is a section of the article:

Each team’s location on the grid is determined by advanced numerical calculations and verified by the Journal’s resident sports nerds, who make sure a team’s location also reflects intangible factors that don’t come through in the data.

The Grid features only legitimate Football Bowl Subdivision contenders: each of the 64 schools in the five major conferences, plus a handful of other relevant programs. This season that included independent Notre Dame and the University of Central Florida, among others.

The horizontal axis is straightforward: the more dominant a team is expected to be on the field, the farther right they land. Each team’s ranking is a composite of several pre-season polls, some ordered by the eye tests, others by multivariable mathematical equations.

Things get interesting on the vertical axis, otherwise known as the shame meter. The lower a team falls the more ignominy it heaps upon its fanbase.

Shame is quantified using a weighted calculation of several football-related factors: academic performance, recent NCAA violations and probation, attendance figures, athletic-department subsidies and arrests of players and coaches.

There are some offenses so outside the lines, however, that they can’t quite be captured by numbers alone. That’s where the “ick factor” comes into play.

Chidojuan
      Ute Fan
      @chidojuan

Is this like the PAC-12 circle of suck? The only team not in the circle is Oregon, but they’re the connector to the SEC circle of suck.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Can’t comment on whether most of these programs are where they belong, but I’d say they’ve got Utah (admirable powerhouse) and BYU-Provo (moderately well behaved weakling) nailed.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

This was posted a few months ago, I think.

For those without access to WSJ, here’s the image. To help with the Grid:

UP = Admirable
      DOWN = Embarrassing
      RIGHT = Powerhouse
      LEFT = Weakling

THE UTES ARE THE BESTEST EVER!!!!!!

leftyjace
        Ute Fan
        @leftyjace

<nvmd>

UTUTE
        Ute Fan
        @utute

Interesting where Army is on the map. Thought they would be higher in the “weakling” side

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football WSJ Grid of Shame