Any other post-grunge melodic rock fans in here besides me?

Viewing 9 reply threads

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Stuff like Disturbed, Sevendust, Breaking Benjamin, Mudvayne, Alter Bridge, Tremonti, Chevelle, Linkin Park, Filter… that sort of thing?

If so, what are you listening to these days? My son has made various recommendations to me – Nothing More, Our Last Night, I See Stars, Awaken I Am, and others – but I’m curious to hear of any other good bands you guys are listening to these days.

Always looking for some good workout music to make me feel like an angry teen while lifting weights!

P.S. THIS IS IN THE MISC CATEGORY – TAKE YOUR JUDGMENT AND STICK IT UP YOUR *** RIGHT AFTER YOU DISABLE THE MISC CATEGORY

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Disturbed is one of my favorite bands. Indestructible, Sons of plunder and their rendition of the sound of silence are some of my favorite songs. As far as what I’m listening to these days, I can’t say I listen to a lot of music. Mostly podcasts. When I do listen to music, it’s usually something like Seether or other bands that aren’t as hard. I’ll check out some of those bands your sons turned you on to.

Edit: “cryin like a bitch” by Godsmack is a good workout song. I have it on my workout playlist. Five finger death punch, Staind and System of a down have some good workout songs too.

leftyjace
        Ute Fan
        @leftyjace

Ya, Disturbed is one of my favorites as well. At least 10 songs on my workout playlist.
        I have a couple of Seether songs as well.
        Haven’t heard that particular Godsmack song, I’ll check it out!
        For whatever reason… I can’t seem to get into Five Finger Death Punch. I don’t know why. Staind I like, as well as System of a Down for sure.

You rreeeaaaallllly should check out Tremonti if you haven’t. Good stuff. In fact, here are some songs that I like from my workout playlist:
        Alter Bridge – Isolation
        Tremonti – All That I Got
        Tremonti – Another Heart
        Nothing More – Do You Really Want It
        Nothing More – This Is The Time (Ballast)
        I See Stars – Cold Snow
        Our Last Night – 1-800-273-8255 (their cover of the song, it’s absolutely amazing)

bopahull
          Ute Fan
          @bopahull

GET OFF OF MY LAWN!!!!!!!

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

Lol. The bands I listed are not new. I’m 40 years old.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Gotta say I’m liking Tremonti. Thanks for sharing. I’ll check out the other bands your son recommended as well.

Go Yanks!

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Sevendust is one of my all-time favorites.  Filter as well. Gotta run somewhere but I’ll post a list of some new stuff you can check out. 

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

Check out Middle Class Rut

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

Damn I love Hey Man Nice Shot on the that movie The Cable Guy. That’s all I got. listen to a live version when the base kicks in at the start.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Filter is an awesome band. Listen to “can’t you trip like I do” on the Spawn soundtrack.

leftyjace
        Ute Fan
        @leftyjace

Funny thing… I hadn’t ever seen that movie, just heard the song… loved it.
        And that’s when I got exposed to “Welcome to the Fold”.

Which JUST SO HAPPENS to be one of the best songs ever for doing a single- or double-rep heavy lift at just the right time.

“You’re celebrating nothing… and you… feel… A… O…. Kaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy!!!!”
        (lift at Kay and call me in the morning when you realize how many ligaments you tore.)

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

The Spawn soundtrack in my opinion is one of the better soundtracks out there. Filter, Marilyn Manson, Korn, Metallica, Stabbing Westword, among others.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Along a similar vein:

Ill Nino
      Spineshank
      Drowning Pool
      Coal Chamber
      Static-X
      American Head Charge
      Dry Kill Logic
      Fear Factory

UTUTE
        Ute Fan
        @utute

Agree with others that Sevendust is incredible. If you have a chance to see them live don’t miss them!

10 Years has not been mentioned and is good

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

Love some of these!!

Spineshanks second album, the height of callousness, really got me into the genre. 

Love Coal Chambers self titled first album. So simple, but so heavy. Fun every now and then. 

Dry Kill Logics first album with the weird bodies on the front was great too. Never got into their other stuff. 

Love Fear Factory’s album Obsolete. So many good songs. Other albums hit and miss. 

Others to consider:

Korns first album. Raw, heavy with their 7 string guitars and cool basslines. 

Deftones first three albums, but 1&2 are my faves. Production quality is poor on the first but their singer is so dynamic with his singing and screaming. 

Avenged Sevenfold first two albums, raw and much different than the bro-metal they got famous for. 

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

I can’t believe I didnt mention Korn or Avenged Sevenfold. Great bands. This thread takes me back. Good times.

FtheY
            Ute Fan
            @fthey

Me too, CCU! Might have to take a lap through these on Spotify tomorrow. 

leftyjace
        Ute Fan
        @leftyjace

Static-X Black and White is awesome.
        Let the Bodies Hit the Floor by Drowning Pool is very motivating.

I gotta check out a few of the ones you listed.

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

All far too mellow for my tastes, but I did have a funny interaction yesterday that kinda relates.

A co-worker of mine knows that I listen to heavier music (she’s a country fan). She was so excited to forward me a YouTube clip, letting me know that she had “finally found a ‘death metal’ song that she liked”, and was wondering if I had heard of it before.

It was Linkin Park.

Bless her heart for making the attempt, but I couldn’t stop laughing at the idea that Linkin Park was somehow death metal.

leftyjace
        Ute Fan
        @leftyjace

What are your thoughts on Opeth and Katatonia?

SkinyUte
          Ute Fan
          @skinyute

I loved Opeth back when the were an actual metal band. In fact, I’d put “Ghost Reveries” in my personal top 10 albums of all time. Their recent shift to prog…not so much.

Never cared much for Katatonia.

I typically skew more toward the heavier death metal end of the spectrum. Entombed, Behemoth, Death, Sigh, Obituary, Morbid Angel, Sentient Horror, Gatecreeper…that sort of thing.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Speaking of Katatonia… I’d be curious to hear what others think of this group.
      They are a band that fancies themselves as a borderline death metal group out of Scandanavia. But….
      Their lead singer can’t scream any more.
      So they do things in full voice that is actually quite good.
      The thing that’s hilarious is watching them live… they headbang, wear the whole spikes, etc. thing as if they were a death metal band.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Here’s another example… this is what I mean. Audio-wise, they’re a great melodic post-grunge feeling type band.

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

The thing that’s hilarious is watching them live… they headbang, wear the whole spikes, etc. thing as if they were a death metal band.

Huh? I’ve seen Katatonia twice (at metal festivals) and didn’t notice any spikes, corpse paint, fake blood, or any of the other usual death metal accouterments. I just kinda thought they were boring, tbh. That said, I’ll admit it’s entirely possible that I’m just completely desensitized after hundreds of actual death metal shows. LOL

Swallow the Sun does a similar mellow, mix of clean and harsh vox, evocative/emotional sound, but does it infinitely better.

/metal snob mode off

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Any other post-grunge melodic rock fans in here besides me?